Seneca North End - 6/28

After a week of pan fishing at Black Lake we were anxious to get back to some trout and salmon. With LO reports not sounding to promising decided to try Seneca for the first time since the derby.

Launched at the Geneva launch and headed out.Very few boats out and a pretty good south wind.Set down in about 60 FOW and took a look at screen, which was loaded from about 25 ft to bottom. Skipped taking a temperature in view of wind and the promising screen. Set up 3 DR at 45, 55 and 60 with a Copper at ~ 50 and two Dipsey at ~ 40 and 50. Got past the pump house with out a hit and noticed some marks a little deeper so set a DR at 70. Angled across the lake to belhurst where three other boats were working without a hit. Screen looked great, but nothing going on. Went back across to high banks where much more bait started to show up and we saw what looked like a couple trout breaking the surface, although the surface temperature was 69F. Was in the process of putting out a board for a lead core and the 45 DR went off with sliver doing multiple jumps behind the boat, which ended up to be 3 to 4 lb bow. Pulled the 70 ft rigger and but out a 5 color lead core off the board. Screen continued to look great but as we got a mile past high banks. Made a turn to go back and 45 ft Dipsey took off, on it was a very nice 8 lb bow.

Changed the 5 color to 10 and made out way back north.Screen did not look near as good, although we were zig - zagging through the previous GPS line.A lot of weeds started to show up, but manageable, along with the following seas as well. Got to the pump house about 9:30 without another hit so decided to pull and go home for some much needed lawn work. Saw only one other boat out at that point. Surprised not to take a laker? I think the temperature was changing rapidly?

The last boat we saw out there came in as we were going out. They didn't have a hit. Last week the limited near the surface on lakers.

Oh well, I think all over things will sort out as the TC sets up. Thursday we are off for camping and fishing at Hamlin / Sandy Creek.

We were probably that other boat :) 21' trophy. Very slow for us , 3/5 all lakers. Two around 7lbs. Kept one smaller one for the grill. "Better" fishing was south of high banks for us. Couldn't move a rod near the pump house .

From the screens I saw yesterday with the bait it seems the lakers may still be in there spring pattern (north end). Once that temp warms up down to 50 ft that's all she wrote. They'll be off on the shelves. Beautiful rainbow!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United