Dispy/cowbells

Never really gave it much thought but boy I would think it would work in some of the shallower Laker 'Hot zones' that you could reach bottom with a dipsey... like 120' and up.  I would think you could slowly let your dipsey click out until it starts tagging bottom and skipping in the sand (like your rigger ball would).  Just make sure you're in the flat 'sand basin' so you don't lose your gear on a shelf.

The resistance with cowbells behind a dipsey has got to be much higher then a flasher/fly though so maybe you won't be able to achieve the depths you think you could.  

Interesting thought - never tried it.

Like anything, you never know until you give it a try. I agree with Fleet that you would have to get the Dipsy tagging bottom to agitate the lake trout into biting.

I fish with cowbells all the time off my riggers, and they only work effectively for me when they are within a few feet of the bottom. Whenever, a rod goes cold for me it's inevitable that it simply is no longer nestling the bottom. 9 times out of 10, as soon as I get that bad boy back down on the bottom, a laker will crush it within ten minutes.

That being said, many of us have had lake trout hit higher lures such as a suspended FF on a Dipsy or a spoon on a cheater before the water stratifies.

Good luck,

Chris

They work in shallow (less than 50 ft) in the Spring with the medium and magnum sized divers but only the smaller sets of cowbells and you usually have to crank down the tension on the diver to avoid false releases because of the drag on the dipsey trigger. I've caught lakers (peanuts), a brown (spoon) and also a rainbow with a worm harness trailing behind the cowbells on Seneca Lake. I think of it as one of my "desperation" tools rather than a "go to" setup :)

Edited by Sk8man