how to reduce deer ticks

I have been watch several deer come up through my property,seems like alot of them have some tick problems.

I ran accross this idea which seems cheap and very effective,maybe the DEC might look into this to reduce deer ticks and lyme disease

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=deer+tick+treatment+salt+lick&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=510475EAD9CCD2A145D3510475EAD9CCD2A145D3

Interesting.  Looks like work but could work.  I'd love something to help.  The ticks are bad, real bad around here.  Almost everyone I know on my road has gotten Lyme.  I have it right now and it sucks.  I have to say, if you're in an area with a lot of Lyme, go to the doc every time you get a tick.  One dose of antibiotics if you do it within 72 hrs.

I did a couple times but not for every tick and I'm paying now.  Feels like a nasty flue, big painful rash on my arm, drugs for weeks and cross your fingers that does it.  Sucks as I grew up 1/4 mile from my house and never had to worry about ticks.  Never thought about them until I was about 20.  Anyway... Lyme sucks, get the prophylaxis dose of antibiotics ASAP if you get a tick... far better than getting Lyme.

My only solution has been mowing more of our field to try to keep the mice down but that's a probably pointless task.  And mouse traps.

• 2 months later...

DEC wouldn't be to happy about salt stations in your woods, otherwise, it's a really clever idea.

A recent study in Connecticut showed that young ticks feed on mostly mice, older ticks need a larger animal like deer. The study indicated that the best way to control ticks/Lyme in suburban settings is to control the deer population.

I will be making it a point to fill my DM permits this Fall!