Spring Kings off Oswego Harbor

I am looking for any historical help in finding Kings outside the Oswego Harbor. Traditionally, I am a hunter at heart, but my father and Uncle always spent countless hours on the lake during spring, summer, and fall. My father is too ill to fish anymore and my Uncle passed and I would like to carry on their spirit on the lake. Three days out last fall we caught 2 Kings between the light house and break wall and now I am hooked. How deep should we look in early May? N. West or N. East of the lighthouse and with what type of rigs? The boat is 19 feet inboard/outboard MerCruiser (Glastron) and it has 4 downriggers, fish finder, temp./speed sensor, Loran, but no planer boards. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Cwmwnw welcome to the site.

This time of year they are still in the western basin in canada as the water warms they will start to head to the east. The Niagara bar is a good place to be in the beginning of may. I'm by means no expert but Go west young man go west. You can still pick up Kings in the eastern basin but the western end is the best in May. Just my 2 cents :lol:

Erin is right about the numbers, but remember that Oswego was smokin a couple of years ago from May right through the summer. I know the east end also took the big one in the spring last year also. Out of Oswego you will have to out of the chute and get outside about 1.5 miles or so. You will see the others looking for them also. If you keep watxhing here or the other sitews from the area, people will tell you if they got them. I will be out of mexico, ifI hear of the big boys showing up off Oswego, I will make the run. Good Luck.

Rich

Did good multiple times the past 3-5 years in the early spring from the green can to moon beach in the 350-500 foot range for the kings. Last year we never even put the brown trout gear on the boat just targeted kings all year. Hope this helps.

I have caught kings on stick baits right off the wall and out deep this time of year. But if I'm just after kings I will run dodger and fly's and spoons, 1 to 5 colors of lead off the boards and long leads of the riggers. You have to get away from the pack that's filling there boxes with browns and hunt them. Once you find them mark the spot and stay on them. It's hard to leave fast action brown's to fish for them but they will not stay in boat traffic. You will not find the numbers of kings in the spring as in the fall but they are still some there.

DEL