I-Bay 8/27/14 - very brief afternoon trip

I fished with my brother for an impromptu afternoon trip after he had a meeting cancellation and I was cleaning the boat so we decided to give it a try despite building seas.

We slowly motored out to only 130' directly north of the bay around 1:30 PM and could only fish two riggers and two wires b/c of 3-4' waves and the worst current I have ever seen in my life. The waves out of the NW were being met with current out of the SW and it was a washing machine. 

We only fished for an hour, but managed three very large lake trout on the riggers, parked at 85 and 115' down (we saw marks at that depth so we fished them). Water was ice cold at that depth, 45 degrees.

We also had a sweet rip on the wire, but the fish shook after about a 30 second fight. It felt "king like" with ripping the drag and the head shakes but we never saw the fish

After the wind kicked up even more and it became a white cap nightmare, we did the right thing by pulling up and heading back (although it looked like the lake calmed down around 6 PM)

Still good to get out - this weekend will be my last trip on my my boat for the season as it will be time to focus on the deer woods.

Good luck friends,

Chris