Proposed NY DEC Bait Regulations

I posted stuff about this on another thread about cut bait, but it is important and wanted to give it its own post "space".

The regs are about the proposed stoppage of sales of certain live and frozen baits that you buy to help you catch fish. If this affects you, read on...

I have spoken with Greg Kozlowski, Program Chair of the NY DEC, and he had good things to say about their willingness to listen to our comments about the proposed NY regulations. He explained that the proposed regulations are mostly concerning the prevention of invasive species from entering the ecosystem. The DEC are concerned about the VHS virus, but have really been more concerned about preventing the movement of invasive species.

Problem is, the regs don't state that. They just go into detail about preventing bait use. My comments in my email were to say that Herring are not on the list at all! There needs to be a comment that they are not on the prevented list, and need to be on the "green light" list.

He recommended that EVERYONE go to the following site, which has the proposed regulations in full. Again, they are just proposals, and the earliest they would go into effect is October 1, 2008:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html

I'll save some of you from reading everything and say that NOTHING changes from last years regs. If you are used to buying our frozen herring baits, know that you can continue to use our baits. We brine our baits to the NY DEC standards.

Once you take a look at the regs, click on the feedback email right there on the page or email your comments using the following info:

Shaun Keeler, email address: [email protected], with a subject "Proposed Rulemaking Parts 10, 18, 19, 35 and 180 - Sportfishing Regulations"

They ABSOLUTELY want people to comment/email/call, because, as Greg said, "these are YOUR regulations."

These proposed regulations do NOT go into effect until OCTOBER 1, 2008 at the earliest. Greg said there is plenty of time to take YOUR comments into considerations in order to make these regulations the best they can be.

• 3 months later...

I'll be heading up to Catfishcreek next month for our yearly salmon fishing and was wondering if you have any whole bait for sale up there and if so where. I sent you a e-mail a few days ago but didn't get a reply yet.

I'll be heading up to Catfishcreek next month for our yearly salmon fishing and was wondering if you have any whole bait for sale up there and if so where. I sent you a e-mail a few days ago but didn't get a reply yet.

Ed,

Sorry for the delay in response, and thank you for your post and email.

We had hoped that our products would be distributed throughout the NY Market by now, but that has not been the case. Our NY distributors have decided to hold off this season, choosing to continue the program in 2009.

So, sadly, the closest location you could find our baits is likely either near Detroit, MI or in Mississauga, Ontario.

Tight lines...

Keith