Lowrance LMS-350A ?

Patriot

I had one from 1998 til 2010 or 2011 when I retired it for my current Raymarine. Good unit but old, outdated technology. Plotter shows heading and tracks, but has no chart capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

I had one from 1998 til 2010 or 2011 when I retired it for my current Raymarine. Good unit but old, outdated technology. Plotter shows heading and tracks, but has no chart capability.

Tim, you don't have a boat?

I concur. i had one years ago and it was one of the best units at the time.

Greg, maybe, maybe not.

Last year I started noticing that the deck around the engine compartment was getting soft, so this spring I figured I'd cut that out and replace it before the season got underway, no big deal.  When I cut the first section of deck out I discovered rotten stringers again.  I say again, because I had it completely rebuilt from the cabin bulkhead back in 2003, new transom, stringers, motor bunks and floor/deck, so I was more than a little shocked at the condition of the stringers after only 10 seasons.  Needless to say, FishStyx never saw the water this year.

I already paid more than the boat was worth to have it rebuilt once, I wasn't willing to do it a second time, so I worked on redoing it myself this year.  This was the absolute worst spring/summer imaginable for boat building with the near constant rain.  I suspended the rebuild earlier this fall when I noticed that thanks to the weather, the boat had sat on the trailer so long with the structure removed that the fiberglass hull started to sag.  I was ready to junk the boat at that point.  I had a surveyor look at it and in his opinion it is repairable, but I'll have to get it off the trailer and onto boat stands where I can get the hull properly supported and let the sagging fiberglass get back where it belongs, then I can glass in the new stringers.  So, I put it away for the winter and I'll give it another shot in the spring and hope for better weather.

Anyone in the Buffalo Area looking for a Boat Repair Shop.....DO NOT TAKE IT TO MARINE GELCOAT SERVICES  The half-assed job he did on the rebuild was pathetic.

Tim

IMG_0535JPG2_zpsad611c09.jpg

IMG_0542JPG2_zpse1d10b6d.jpg

Edited by Tim Bromund

Yes, I saw the boat when it was a bare hull. He barely epoxied any of the wood and didn't glass it at all othe than where it was tabbed down to the hull. Even there he did a half assed job of it the tabbing peeled right off with the wood as I was ripping the bad stringers out. He also didn't cut any limber holes in the stringers or floors ( the cross pieces between the stringers) so any water that got in, had no way to drain out to the low point of the bilge.

Tim- really sorry to hear  that and it has to be really frustrating. After seeing what my buddy went through re-doing his Penn Yan I know it has to be really disheartening knowing you have to go though that process again and the work facing you.. Best of luck with things. Les

Greg, maybe, maybe not.

Last year I started noticing that the deck around the engine compartment was getting soft, so this spring I figured I'd cut that out and replace it before the season got underway, no big deal.  When I cut the first section of deck out I discovered rotten stringers again.  I say again, because I had it completely rebuilt from the cabin bulkhead back in 2003, new transom, stringers, motor bunks and floor/deck, so I was more than a little shocked at the condition of the stringers after only 10 seasons.  Needless to say, FishStyx never saw the water this year.

I already paid more than the boat was worth to have it rebuilt once, I wasn't willing to do it a second time, so I worked on redoing it myself this year.  This was the absolute worst spring/summer imaginable for boat building with the near constant rain.  I suspended the rebuild earlier this fall when I noticed that thanks to the weather, the boat had sat on the trailer so long with the structure removed that the fiberglass hull started to sag.  I was ready to junk the boat at that point.  I had a surveyor look at it and in his opinion it is repairable, but I'll have to get it off the trailer and onto boat stands where I can get the hull properly supported and let the sagging fiberglass get back where it belongs, then I can glass in the new stringers.  So, I put it away for the winter and I'll give it another shot in the spring and hope for better weather.

Anyone in the Buffalo Area looking for a Boat Repair Shop.....DO NOT TAKE IT TO MARINE GELCOAT SERVICES  The half-assed job he did on the rebuild was pathetic.

Tim

IMG_0535JPG2_zpsad611c09.jpg

IMG_0542JPG2_zpse1d10b6d.jpg

You'd think they could make the stringers & bulkheads out of a carbon fiber or something other than wood. But I guess that would be over the top expensive

Greg, Wood is fine as long as it is prepared and the job done properly.  With 3 good coats of epoxy on the wood before they get glassed, the wood should never rot, plus really, the way it is supposed to be done, the material is secondary, there should be multiple layers of fully saturated/wetted out fiberglass fabric completely covering the wood and tabbed into the hull, the layers of epoxy saturated and cured fiberglass skin is really what forms the structural element of the stringer.  In reality, the wood is little more than a mold to form the fiberglass stringer around.  Obviously that wasn't done here. :(

Edited by Tim Bromund

Been looking over those pics you posted. You really got shafted on that repair. First all of that wood should have been resin coated and at least two layers of fiberglass mat installed. Second to achieve true waterproofing , all surfaces glassed need to be gel coated. I don't see any gel coating on those stringers.

Been looking over those pics you posted. You really got shafted on that repair. First all of that wood should have been resin coated and at least two layers of fiberglass mat installed. Second to achieve true waterproofing , all surfaces glassed need to be gel coated. I don't see any gel coating on those stringers.

Actually gel coating isn't needed, nor is it waterproof.  That's why you have to epoxy barrier coat a hull if you keep it in a slip, because moisture will seep through gel coat.,  Gel coating the stringers is really more cosmetic than functional. But yes, the more I got into the project, the more I wanted to track the guy down and beat him with the claw end of a 24 oz framing hammer, though I suppose that would be considered premeditated murder. :)

Edited by Tim Bromund