Second battery vs jumper box

Senor Snagger

My buddy is giving me grief that I only have 1 battery on board. I have no trolling motors. I have a fishfinder, vhf, 2 bilge pumps and a radio. I'm comfortable having a fully charged jumper box on board and he says I should parallel a second batter. Do I need a second battery if is tge jump box a sendible safe alternative?

Some questions one might ask first, is your main motor an outboard that can pull start if needed? Do you troll with your main so that it's charging? Do you venture out in finger lakes or ontario? How often do you find yourself draining your battery now? Do you have a kicker motor? These might help you answer your own question. A second battery adds weight but can be truly needed based on above questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the response. Main motor for trolling. No kicker. Can be rope started(have a starter cord under the cover. I also bring out a 1700 peak amp jump starter box onboard at all times. I will troll ontario 4 times a year. Run the bays here in NJ, Thousand Islands twice a year.

If you parallel a second batter& they both run all the time, if you get a short or something else goes wrong ,it will kill both & you will have the same situation.Get a switch & follow the instructions on install.

What is also nice is at the end of the day, you can turn the switch to off & kill the power to the whole boat. I do this all the time on my big boat. Saved my bacon a few times as I have left something on        ( light or radio etc) that would have killed the battery when I showed up next morn.

Switch, battery, & cables probably around 200 bucks. On a bigger boat it should be standard equipment.

Edited by Has Been

I recommend one of these:

Blue Seas Add-A-Battery Kit - 120A PN 7650 or 765003

Mini Add-A-Battery Kit - 65A PN 7649 or 7649002

These kits allow you to:

1.  disconnect your batteries when not in use (except bilge pump of course)
  2. isolate batteries from each other but provide automatic charging of both batteries when running your motor
  3. combine batteries when in trouble.

I have the 120A unit in my boat.  I run all electronics and downriggers from one battery, the other battery is for starting.  Pretty much idiot proof.

I also use my main motor for trolling.  Both batteries are marine starting batteries.

• 2 weeks later...