New Electronics Install

G-Daddy

I have some new electronics sitting in my family room waiting for me to start the installation.  Just looking for some do or don't tips.  What I have is a Simrad NSS7 Nav Pack with 3G Radar and a high speed GPS antenna.  Bought the chartplotter to replace an old Garmin 130 GPS but the price was so good we decided to add the radar also.  Anyone want to offer any install pointers?

I have the NSS8's. Great units.

Just take your time and do a good job with connections etc.

Radar installation really matters to get good even returns. Do some research on how to properly mount the dome. Don't over stress about it. You can always correct it. You will LOVE radar overlay.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Lowrance 3G radar on my Penn Yan and mounted the dome directly onto the middle of my hardtop with excellent results.  Because I trailer a lot and was concerned about height I didn't want to use a raised mount so I checked with BOE Marine about the placement and followed their recommendations. The most difficult part of the install was cutting a 5" access hole in the ceiling of my hardtop to get to the mounting hardware under the radar dome.  I installed a 6" led dome light to cover the hole

You will probably need some kind of heading sensor to overlay your radar onto your chart, this makes it much easier to understand the radar returns and saves you space on your screen.  Your external gps antenna might have a heading sensor built in if it is like a Point 1 or maybe you already have one for an auto pilot and can network them together.

post-140506-0-88428400-1422223399_thumb.jpg