Parts for Old Mercury 75 hp

Guppy35

I'm looking to get a few new parts to replace the impeller in an older Mercury 75 hp motor.  I looked up the serial number on the motor and searched it on www.iboats.net where i had previously bought an impeller for a different motor.  Unfortunately the serial number doesn't match up with anything on their website.

There were only a few 75 hp Mercury motors listed on their website, and the serial number that i got off my motor falls between two of the serial numbers listed on their website.  Are the chances pretty good that i could order parts for the impeller from either of those two motors (years 1983 & 1984) and have it be the same size and design that i need?  Or should i try to match the serial number up before purchasing anything (maybe a different website would be able to match the serial number?)

If it helps, the serial number on my motor is 6558331

Is Hank "the man" or what? :lol: You sure got your question to the right guy Sean :)

That's for sure!  Thanks Hank, very helpful to know that the #'s you got match up with the ones i finally found.  Parts are ordered and will hopefully arrive sometime next week!

While i've already got a thread going on this, i have one more additional question.  Every time i take this boat out, the same thing happens when trying to start this motor (Mercury 75hp).  It cranks and acts like it wants to start, but it will take many turns of the key before it actually fires up (sometimes it will start up but only stay running for a few seconds).  Then for one reason or another, it will start up and stay running even on idle.  I use a kicker for trolling, and if i decide to pick up and move, i can then turn the key once and have the big motor fire right up every time.  But it doesn't matter if it's early Spring, or middle of the Summer, it ALWAYS takes several minutes to get it fired up at the beginning of each trip.

Now i know this motor hasn't always been taken care of or serviced the way that it should have been, but now that i have it i'm trying to get it running better and take care of it a little better.  Any ideas what i should take a look at on the motor to get it to fire up better at the beginning of each trip?  Does it sound like a carburetor issue, or something else?  I'm not looking to rebuild the whole motor, as i don't have the money for something like that.  Just trying to figure out a few little things i can do to improve it.

Thanks!