Cannon Mag 10 question

I bought 2 Cannon Mag 10 riggers last fall on Craigslist and just put them on my rigger board.

Once wired to the battery I tried them out and am confused about the up/down/auto off switch.

I have to hold the switch down to lower the weight.

I also have to hold the switch up to raise it. (I thought it would stay up and keep coming up to the boom then shut off via the circuit breaker.)

(I'm doing all this on the trailer in the driveway.)

Am I doing something wrong or is the switch broken? (Does the ball need to be in the water to keep the rigger going up?)

I pulled the switch out and checked it with a VOM and it definitely needs to be held 'up' to keep the connection made. Is that right?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There is an auto stop function on the riggers and it uses the water as a conductor when the weight is down in the water the up switch will run by only hitting it up one time(You should have gotten a couple of spacer at the end of the cable that attaches to your weight) as soon as the spacer come out of the water it breaks the contact and your rigger should stop. I don't believe you can do it out of water to get the full effect of the short stop. There is a voltage that should be on the cable as it's in the water but I don't remember what it is Maybe someone else will chime in to help you out on that. Hope this helps.

if it has a off/on/auto off switchand self centering, it is the newer style.also the older models like mine have a self centering down mode (have to hold) but a switchable up mode that keeps on a coming,and coming,andcoming up sllllowley till you center the switch manualy ,like eber says i think you need water try launching in your neighbors pool and with the proper "stop"devises installed it should work. but as for me im still in the stone age with the equiptment on my boat,cept for my shiney new kicker.......

I have four Mag 10's. Yes, you need to be in the water to have the auto up function to work as noted above. On land you will have to hold the button up to continue retrieving the ball. Good luck out there. You will love the auto stop function.

Richard

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the short-stop function worked that way on the newer units. I had an older style owners manual that described the switch that stays in the up position and stops the motor via the circuit breaker.

Bottom line is I need to get my prop installed and get in the water!