Hello from Erie PA !

Wow, what a cool website ! I am from "near" Erie PA (actually Meadville PA). I have been looking for a good site to explore fishing in Lake Ontario because.......well, frankly I am obsessed. I have been fishing for better than 30 years from shore.....probably 15 from a small boat, and about 4 out of a "sea-worthy" boat.

"Unfortunately" I have 1 year experience out of a Kayak.....long story, and I'm not proud of it. My wife thought since I loved to fish so much that I should get exercise while doing so.

My boat is an old 1974 19 foot Reinell open bow with a 1976 1150 mercury. I put this boat through hell and back on lake Erie. It is equipped with a Hummingbird 858C and 4 pretty standard rod holders. I mostly run dipsy's and jet's.

I have fished Lake Ontario 3 times with "Get Hooked Sportfishing" in the last few years.......now I am obsessed with rigging my boat for the deep water fun. I am looking for a couple used manual downriggers if anyone has a couple needing  a new home :).

I will be up in Early June to fish for a week with some family to fish from my boat, and probably back in late August to fish with "Get Hooked".

Looking forward to learning....!!!!!

Thanks !

Welcome to the "obsessed side" compelled and habituated! Captain Mick is one of my best friends and we fish together a lot. Sometimes from his boat sometimes from mine and on shore and on ice! Watch Mick carefully and you will gain access to the tricks on Lake Ontario fish that work! Have a great season. Your gonna need fatter wallet! 😃🚤

Thanks for the warm welcome Skipper ! I am a bit nervous and excited for my June trip.....the idea is to catch a few fish, and not look like a complete idiot in front of my family. Thank god they are drinkers....or else they would be watching me screw up and actually remember it ! Even if we don't catch fish, I hope I can convince them afterwards that we did :rofl: .

I have always stayed at Clean Sweep so I made reservations there again. The Hoovers are very decent people, and run a nice cottage service. I can't wait to have a few beers after fishing at the Black North. You guys have such a wonderful community at Breeze Point !!

I agree.....Mick and Jack always try their hardest to put us on fish. Unfortunately I normally don't pick the best times to fish, and always hit a cold front or wicked winds, but they always have managed to get us some fish in the boat. If you get a chance, tell him Adam From Erie PA said Hi !  

I will be at the Oak the weekend of the "tournament" (June 13-14-15-16), think I will have any issue launching and staying out of everyone's way ?? Depending on how the water sets up by early June, I would like to hit the inside for a stray fish to get my rhythm down (maybe get lucky), and maybe head out deeper to find some lake trout of something. I'm new to this on my own, so it will be a lot of trial and error. I am hoping to have a couple riggers by then, but if not I will try my divers......what is the worse that can happen !

Thanks Skipper !!

Early June can be tough. You are correct about the lake setup. Nice western winds and sunny days will help. You will do fine with dipsey rigs. Run 5 of them in the colored water edge and you probably will have no trouble entertaining the family with lakers during that time. Spoons or flasher flies...they are not so fussy and tug pretty good in the cold water. Browns and occasional salmon can be more inshore where good stained water is about 43 to 48 degrees. Winds shift temp in and out. East wind fish the west side of the river and creeks where warm colored water stacks against a point or cove. Flatline sticks and weighted salmon spoons in that close shore color and be prepared for kings to scream off at any time. They come close around those flows looking for meals in low light morning and afternoon. Be stealthier in that shallow water. Off shore mostly clear black water unless winds have been out of the west for many warm days.

Plenty room to launch, but black north side gets full fast. State side has lots more room but costs 6 bucks. I might be around that time.

Beers in the North sounds good! Maybe see ya there! Aquasport center console with outriggers would be me.

Mark

PS..looks like you scored cannon riggers on classifieds!..:D

Edited by skipper19

Once again, thanks Skipper. Your helpful info is above and beyond what I expected, and I certainly appreciate the time you spent writing what you have. I can understand that a lot will happen with the lake between now and June, but it is always nice to have starting point to think about. If nothing else it gives me a reason to buy more equipment !! My wife is going to hate you guys !!!! :)