Guys, I have a Lowrance X85 that seems not so swift. I just can't believe that I can troll for hours upon hours and never even mark a school of bait much less a fish. Do you guys have days you mark zip? This thing came with the boat. The surface temp is even four degrees off of what my fish hawk 840 says. Any suggestions?

coup, when you are on the water try sitting still and drop a rigger ball or even a metal lure down off the boat. you should see the image on the screen. there have been times trolling in unfertile areas where you are looking at the screen and it seems like you are at the drive in movie in the middle of january, but if you don't see the ball then try a hard reset on the unit and see if that works. here's how

shut it down

press and hold right and left arrow keys

press and hold power key

release both bottons when unit powers up

NOTE this also delets stored data if that is a concern.

the x85 is a fair unit......3000 watts not overstuffed with power but will read 1000 ft with 192kz trans ducer. I prefer somthing over 4000watts and a 200 kz trans. If it still dosen't work I wouldn't waste time or money on it and do an upgrade to a later model with more watts.

Foster, your unit is essentially the same proceedure except after you shut it down press and hold the Z IN and Z OUT keys and push the power button and then release the two keys when the USA map appears. This a hard reset.

THIS WILL LOOSE YOUR GPS MEMORY IF DONE THIS WAY!

If you want to keep the memory push and hold the PAGES key and hold the PWR key until the USA map appears.

This will preserve any gps memory. I'm not sure if this will help but if you are not seeing any images on the screen it could be due to other factors not related to reset and may require sending the unit to Lowrance for repair or software upgrades. Check your cables and transducer for damage sometimes even a scrape on the transducer surface can cause problems. Hope this helps!!

Mark

Fosterm22 - I have the LMS339 model. It seems every spring time I have issues with it working properly. This year I posted a question on here and received great feedback. Try doing what Skipper19 suggests. I would recommend trying a soft reset first, because you don't lose your waypoints. This worked for me. You other option is to call Lowrance, but be prepared to sit on hold for a loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggggg time ;(;(

I did the re-set but have no made it out to the lake yet to see if it worked. I am having a problem with my fish-hawk transducer as well.

Before the boat went in this srping, I noticed the rubber casing on the outside of the transducer was split open, so I am assuming it is a problem with the transducer. Picked up a new one for $128 today so when the boat comes out for the fish hawk replacement, I willl do the Lowrance as well.

What a complete pain the the butt. It felt like it was fishing blind for the whole derby.