Question on the 08 Pro Am rules

I remember reading on this board that there was no culling this year, but while reading the rules it's not really defined that way.

The rules state:

The first legal limit of six fish brought on board must be kept.

Last year, my understanding was we could release a legal fish as long as it was not netted/brought on board. I'm not reading this rule to be any different. Can we release a legal fish if it's not brought on board ? No culling means we can not selectively choose the fish we keep, which is very clear to me. Problem is the rules don't say "no culling".

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Thanks!!

Heres one that will get people thinking! If your team/boat doesn't meet the 2pm deadline it May result in being DQ'ed. What are the reasons that you would be DQed and the same for not being DQed? In past you were penalized for every minute you were not at a specific point aka pier heads. Lets here it before we get to the captains meeting!!

When I was looking for the entry form I called Bob Cinelli and he told me you can no longer through a legal fish back. You must keep the first 6 legal fish, which is 18"in the pro/am. They also eliminated the bonus or 7th fish. It is 6 fish only.

Rod, rusty rat has it right---no culling...period. You may release a fish in the half inch buffer zone but the first six tournament legal fish must be kept. You may have only one laker but that will be counted as part of your six.

Dave, you are right about the DQ part. We adopted a "zero tolerance" policy on a lot of the rules for this year. It eliminates abuse of the rules and whining about penalites----something the tournament heads have, historically, been soft on and provides uniformity of the rules across all four events.

The rule is written deliberately vague so that it can be customized to each port and the weather at the time. Remember, we have one set of rules now that covers all four tournaments. Each port will have its own version of what "in the pierheads" means based on the configuration of that port and you will be made WELL AWARE of what the policy is for that tournament at the Captain's meeting. For example, "in the pierheads" at Olcott and Wilson will be markedly different from "in the pierheads" at Oswego.

Discussions like this before the Captain's meeting are a good thing---as long as they don't turn negative and nasty. I don't mind answering questions and providing the reasoning behind the rules---hopefully it will help the veterans and, possibly, encourage some more new people to enter.

As long as we're on the subject...I will be doing a separate post on this shortly but there is some VERY exciting news coming out of Olcott regarding a separate Prefish Friday Tournament held in conjunction with the Don Johannes Memorial Big Fish Derby. This friendly, no observers, NO RULES tournament will have a $100 CASH ONLY entry and may be paid up until 6:30 AM Friday. Teams will compete by weighing their three biggest fish of the day. CASH PRIZES will be awarded to the top ten teams and for Big Fish. You can leave whenever you want and only need to be at the weigh-in site by 4:30. Weigh in will be at Krull Park and the awards will be distributed after the Captain's meeting Friday night.

This is the first year for this "mini tournament" and it promises some HUGE payouts IF we get the entries. You'll be prefishing for the ProAm anyway so why not enter this one and maybe win some big cash. Have many of us have big days prefishing....only to tank the first day of the ProAm? LOL. Now you can capitalize on your big day.....for only $100.

More info on this great event will be forthcoming!

Watch for it!

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. Just didn't want to stir any pots! Saw the outline and payout for the Friday tourney, looks pretty good since most of us will be out there anyways. Think we need to advertise some more for it for a good turnout! My help is offered! Thanks

I only have the locations for Niagara and Orleans. Niagara will be at the Olcott Firehall on Rte. 78 (not sure of time) and Orleans will be at the Marine Park at 6:30.

At ALL meetings you will be required to sign in and MUST be PRESENT and ON TIME.

The Niagara meeting will not be split this year but you will be required to go back to Krull Park for the awards ceremony for the PreFish Friday Tournament. The CASH awards will be presented immediately following the Captain's meeting and winners MUST be present to accept their cash.