Lake trout population

Not pointing fingers or starting a fight just curious. It seems to me lake trout are saving a lot of trips the last few years. Given the fact they are much slower to grow will we see some decline in their numbers or is there to many to being with

Not pointing fingers or starting a fight just curious. It seems to me lake trout are saving a lot of trips the last few years. Given the fact they are much slower to grow will we see some decline in their numbers or is there to many to being with

With 300,000 extra being stocked, it will not be an issue. The laker population is not hurting in the least bit. I have seen a steady increase in the laker numbers over the last five years. My lake trout per hour number has increased every year for the last three years. I have not changed my technique at all. There are simply more around. If we had five bad king seasons in a row it might be a concern. There limits are set at two per person with only one in the slot. I would be willing to bet more kings are killed on a slow king year than lakers. With the ability to live a long time, there are more lakers swimming around Lake Ontario than kings.

The biggest concern is the increased pressure on the Browns and Steel when anglers would rather be targeting Chinook. There simply isnt enough pelagic pressure on the Alewives and there population is getting so large they are cannibilizing the young Alewives and setting up for a collapse. Increased pressure on the Alewives would result in a healthier baitfish population and increased angling opportunities.