First time lake ontario

Hey guys I will be heading up to lake ontario possible next Friday or saturday.i have a 14 foot deep v dura nautic offshore with a 9.8 on it.iev talked to a few guys I fish with and they said to go out of point breeze. I was curious if you had any suggestions as this would be my first time fishing this lake.i do mostly trolling on the fingerlakes with spoons but also have dodgers with squid.i will be coming from geneseo so it's about an hour drive . thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 Dipsey divers with flasher/fly combos is a go-to small boat set up. Run a moonshine glow spoon or Michigan Stinger spoon in green sliver if you have a downrigger. Bring a handheld VHF you have a small rig never know its a big lake. And a big net.

keep a close eye on the weather.  finger lakes can turn bad quick but your always close to shore lake O you can creep a lot farther away from safety a lot faster than you think.  that said dipsey's deeper and riggers up higher look for fish on your graph and target that depth.  go faster than you would on the fingers.  small boat with a big king is a blast

Thank you I usually troll at 1.9 on the finger lakes and lower.how fast should I be trolling the big pond? I have a ton of dodgers with squid but never had good luck on finger lakes I have seth green rigs would these work on this lake? And I plan on going out of point breeze going west of the break wall how far out do u have to go? Thanks for all the info guys!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

seth greens are not a great bet for lake O they would get hits but lead to a lot of tangles or break offs  lot more current in the big lake so down speed and surface can be very different.  vary your speed going in one direction till you hit a fish.  if you change directions repeat the process

Reserve your Seth Green rigs for the Finger Lakes....you don't want a king or a big steelie on one or more of those leaders.  Like the guys are saying go with dipsey divers and flasher/fly or Spin Doctor/ fly  combos.  Large Dipseys with spoons can also be an option. Fishing shouldn't be your MAJOR concern out there it is the weather and wave conditions.  This time of year storms can come up out of nowhere out there and with one motor minimally powered you could be in the survival fight of your life in no time. Make sure you do not go alone.  Make sure you have all your safety gear in excellent condition and wear your life jacket at all times no matter how hot things get. Keep your cell phone on something water proof and have the battery fully charged and have backup forms of alerting devices such as flares /flare gun etc. and if possible at least a portable VHF radio  Let folks nearby know exactly where you intend to fish and stay within relatively close proximity to shore.  A long time ago I went out about 12-15 miles out chasing steelhead  in my 13 ft Whaler with a 35 horse engine and a backup 4 horse A big storm with lightning came up from the northwest and by the time I (very luckily) made it to shore I was in 12 ft waves plus. with about a foot of water in the boat. It would have made a great ad for Whaler but I was scared "s...less" and I still count it as one of the dumbest things I've done in my lifetime going out that far in such a small craft and without any radio other than a CB radio which would have done absolutely no good.  Lake Ontario can be one of the most unforgiving places on Earth if your timing is off and you take one too many chances in a small boat. Stay well within rapid access to the shore no matter how tempting the deeper offshore water seems.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm am a average lake trolley it can change from smooth to 4 to 5 footers in a minute. I will be out there saturday if any problems and you need a hand I can message you my number. I run dipsey flasher fly combo. Also black and white moonshine spoons. If you have ball speed I run 2.8 to 3.5. Pending on current speed is huge for catching fish. Alway check you speed when you hook on to one and the direction you are heading. If you would like my number let me know I will help any way I can.

Been up several times in a 16 footer pictured below Golden Hills and I will tell you definetly doable but listen to all the guys in here great info and a big help when i ventured out a few years back.

Couple things to carve into rock j93.

You will not enjoy the luxury of relaxing ..lol forget it ..stay absolutely locked into the wind direction cause if it shifts and picks up and it can do this on a nice sunny day its time to motor back close to shore . never challenge this or you can get in serious trouble cause a small.craft will not power out of a quick change to 3footers and a stiff wind from a nice smooth lake.

Also absolutely forget about heading out if there are storms around or predicted...why? Wait for good weather and a light sw wind. Not worth the risk.

You don't need to go out beyond 100fow . I caught 3 kings one morning in 90fow 50 down. It's close enough to shore to catch all the big lake offers and still be ready to pick up and run in. Make sure the motor is running well no issues . I had a back up .

Never fish out there for a second without a good life jacket on. Fighting these fish from a small rig is a serious physical challenge you will find out don't risk it for a second!! Keep your cell in your pocket in a zip lock bag...good luck these fish are not hard to catch the reward is life lasting but please be safe first!!!