fish finder problems

This spring I bought a used eagle fishfinder  off a buddy. I think it is a 640. It has the gps with the external antenna. I have been having problems with the sonar loosing signal while trolling with it. The depth starts blinking then the screen gets blank. Then after a while it seems to fix itself for a bit. I have played around adjusting the tranducer but it doesn't seem to help. The gps keeps working fine. When I installed it I just used a wire under the dash that my old lowrance was hooked to. That seemed to work fine. Should I run a wire all the way directly to the battery? Also about a month ago battery died out on the lake. I charged it up and load tested it and it tested alright. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Tom I am wondering if it isn't a voltage issue like you are stating. I have a buddy that used to be a marine mechanic. This sounds like. A job for him. First I am going to run to wires to the battery for my next trip. I don't think it is anything with the finder because it worked good for him. When you say puck what do you mean by that?