Been catching some good Walleyes on the Prairie lately. Lake Thompson, SD

Hello my NY friends.  I have been taking some different friends to my favorite local walleye hot spot, which is a necked down channel attaching the main lake to a large, shallow slough where the walleyes feed in the evening.  This spot is a late afternoon/evening spot only, but really rocks in the evening for pitching 1/8 ounce jigs.  The channel where we fish is only about 3.9-5.5 feet deep, and I do best casting and working 1/8 ounce jigheads tipped with leeches.  Casting Rapala husky jerks here produces some nice fish, as well.  We release some nice, big girls every night here, as welll.  Enjoy the pics. :)  :)  :yes:  :yes:

post-150571-0-78239200-1438539093_thumb.jpg

post-150571-0-27510100-1438539104_thumb.jpg

post-150571-0-35973400-1438539140_thumb.jpg

post-150571-0-92118000-1438539329_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

HOLY CRAPie - what a slab!

That is a really nice looking table.  Never really wanted to go to SD but it is looking more interesting to me.

Very VERY nice!

Yeah,that table is the fish cleaning station that many of the state parks have near their boat ramps.  They come with big grinders in the middle, for disposing of the head & guts, etc., too, and have electrical outlets for your electric fillet knives.  Makes it handy for cleaning the catch before heading home.  I always carry ziploc bags with me, for just that purpose!  Walleye fishing is pretty easy out here, because the lakes don't get all that much pressure.  Come on out, and I can even put you on some good pheasant hunting in the fall, as well! :):yes:  :yes:  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my NY friends.  I have been taking some different friends to my favorite local walleye hot spot, which is a necked down channel attaching the main lake to a large, shallow slough where the walleyes feed in the evening.  This spot is a late afternoon/evening spot only, but really rocks in the evening for pitching 1/8 ounce jigs.  The channel where we fish is only about 3.9-5.5 feet deep, and I do best casting and working 1/8 ounce jigheads tipped with leeches.  Casting Rapala husky jerks here produces some nice fish, as well.  We release some nice, big girls every night here, as welll.  Enjoy the pics. :)  :)  :yes:  :yes:

Nice fish John... Makes me want to make a Lake Erie trip.  Not real hot out of Oswego this morning, fish are still scattered.  Got one bow and 1 king, both 105' down on Spin Doctor/fly...  Hurry back!  Ken :)

Man I know I need glasses but how in the hell did I miss this thread!!! What's truely funny is we were just talking about you John, there was a walleye show on the fishing channel and they were in he Dakota's, I mentioned to my uncles I "know" a guy that fishes out there and they wouldn't believe me until I showed them your pics. Immediately they wanted to know how many hrs to that lake. I said many, you guys think western basin of Erie was far how about again as far. Congrats to your banner day John your friend PAP.

Nice fish John... Makes me want to make a Lake Erie trip.  Not real hot out of Oswego this morning, fish are still scattered.  Got one bow and 1 king, both 105' down on Spin Doctor/fly...  Hurry back!  Ken :)

Kenny, you finally found this site, my good man!!  Best site in NY for fishing, bar none.  Guys here are very sharing with their information!!  Good site to find gear, and guys to fish with you, as well!!  :)  :)  :yes:  :yes:

Get with Ed Ball if you want to hit Erie.  He has been killing them out of Dunkirk!! :)