Setup Questions and issues.

I bought some church walleye boards. At this point they seem like a huge waste of money. They won't even pull 10 lbs mono level with the weight all the way forward. I read you can pull 450 ft of copper with them... what am I doing wrong?

Also I switched dipsy lines to braided after losing a setup, I put enough line out for 70 ft down. When I try to bounce it off bottom it don't hit till about 40fow. What is going on!?

Here is my exact dipsy spread with line. 50Lbs backing with Spider wire stealth 50lbs with 14lbs dia dipsy #1 on 0 150ft out. Same setup on pole #2 with 180 ft out. I also use size 0 on #3 with 300 ft out... seems to be my lucky number on Cayuga.

Boards seem to be way off to the side but the front seems to be lifted even with 10 lbw mono with a storm stick behind board. I put the 45° bend in tow arm... will try that tomorrow. If the board runs rough will it still produce?

Thanks for any info!

a size 1 dipsy out 150' with 30lb braid runs about 55' deep. that's without a ring. you are running 50lb so it wont be as deep, maybe 45'. with a ring it runs about 72' deep with the 30lb braid. the front of the boards is usually higher than the back, as long as the planer boards are pulling than they are working. like i said, i pull 5 color with the same boards and have no issues. a size 0 dipsy planes out at around 35' on a #3 setting. hope it helps you out. try the mag dipsy with monster rings. they work well for me on seneca

Bought a magnum Wednesday, Thursday it met the bottom of Cayuga lake 😒. Oops. Lol. Funny now wasn't funny then. Got another Magnum today. Going to give Seneca ago again tomorrow. What diameter is the 30lbs braided? I am I just going for over kill? Lost dipsy to the bottom that's why I switched to the heavy braided.

I always run with rings. Is there a conversion I can go by or just run it out till I hit bottom? Or will it just get a "belly" in the line and go no deeper? Les has mentioned this to me when I met him in person. Just wondering if the belly holds true with dipsys.

Edited by FishingTheFL

all dive weights will plane out eventually. the mags with a monster ring and wire line will only go about 120' deep. i use 20lb wire line and 30lb braid. 50lb is pretty heavy for the fingers. there is no king salmon to deal with :doh: :doh: i have lost a couple dipsy's as all who fish with them enough. there is several different dive charts to use, i have had good luck with the precision trolling charts but everyone has there own opinions. good luck.

p.s. i would never intentionally  run a dipsy out until it hits bottom.LOL

Edited by steelydan

If you compare all charts they seem to plane out around 140 to 240 ft based on setting. I think the 50 lbs stealth is to much, I'll end up switching it out.

I'll give the planner boards ago tomorrow. I was going to try a kwik fish out on 5 colors. I read some where braided backing is better for planner boards or mono? O had better luck with the thicker mono.

Mike - the Walleye boards are designed primarily for keeping whatever you are running out to the side of your boat and there is nothing magical about them as far as that goes. They do a pretty good job of running most things but not all. Longer cores and coppers should be run off either big boards (e.g. on planer mast or off a hard top) or Tx44 sized inlines. They will handle most things that dig deep or are "heavier" in the water. When using the walleye boards with medium "drag" objects (deep diver sticks, small dipseys, or other things with noticeable resistance in the water) the counter weights in the bottom of the boards have to be adjusted to whatever you are trying to run and not just an "estimate" while on land but actually out in the water as you are using them because just moving the weights all the way forward or back may not solve the specific problem... they need to be "fine tuned" to the specific object they are pulling for some things because some objects or lures pull to the side not just downward and that affects the way the boards run. There is also a "balancing act" that occurs when you tax the boards with too much weight or drag and once you reach the "tipping point" you need to shift to bigger boards. The main reason for using braid on the main lines is the lack of stretch with the boards just as in using dipseys and again the smaller diameter - usually the better they cut through the water, and a little more depth may be achieved the smaller the diameter but when using weights you need to adjust the weight accordingly too. especially with "high drag" objects. Don't throw away the walleye boards just yet  :lol:  I've grown to be fond of mine  but I also use outriggers still too  :) 

I can't seem to find the right balance, of course I haven't found a flat day to try them. They get what ever I am running way out to the side but the front seems to be lifted. I ran a storm stick bait off it with 1 oz snap weight 50 ft in front and it seemed to do the same thing.

Tx-44 are the ones that can be used either port or starboard right? I planned on trying today but it didn't work out, glass broke first thing... always next weekend.

If you compare all charts they seem to plane out around 140 to 240 ft based on setting. I think the 50 lbs stealth is to much, I'll end up switching it out.

I'll give the planner boards ago tomorrow. I was going to try a kwik fish out on 5 colors. I read some where braided backing is better for planner boards or mono? O had better luck with the thicker mono.

you will never reach 240' down with any dipsy diver unless you stop the boat and let out 240' of line.

Church boards do squat in the rear. They don't run level like big boards. I pull leadcore up to 12 colors and 100', 200' copper on them. Tx-44 work good for 300' and 400' copper.

Brent

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Might want to switch dipsys over to wire line and be done with it. You will get more depth and less stretch.  With the regular size dipsy and the regular ring it is close enough to a 3:1 ratio to get you in the ball park ( I.E. 240 ft of line out should get you around 80 ft down on a 1.5 setting) up until the point where line drags overtakes your diving capability and the diver planes out.  I believe Mag dipsys are closer to a 2:1 ratio.  This is obviously not exact but it should help.

Your boards are always going to run higher in the front due to the fact that the drag and weight is behind them as well as your rod tip is pointing up in the air to some degree.  Hope this helps.

Might want to switch dipsys over to wire line and be done with it. You will get more depth and less stretch. With the regular size dipsy and the regular ring it is close enough to a 3:1 ratio to get you in the ball park ( I.E. 240 ft of line out should get you around 80 ft down on a 1.5 setting) up until the point where line drags overtakes your diving capability and the diver planes out. I believe Mag dipsys are closer to a 2:1 ratio. This is obviously not exact but it should help.

Your boards are always going to run higher in the front due to the fact that the drag and weight is behind them as well as your rod tip is pointing up in the air to some degree. Hope this helps.

Yeah it does thanks. Any requirements for the pole? Need a roller tip for wire?

Mike if you are going with SS 30lb wire you'll need either a twilli tip (fish307.c0m) or a roller tip rod. Also be aware that if the roller tip is a cheap one with the side plate made from soft metal like aluminum if the rod gets a bit sideways in the holder and the water is rough the wire can act like a hack saw on the soft metal side. Good roller tips these days aren't inexpensive (some over $100 or more).....look for some of the old school Allen  brand tips if you can. Many of the older boat rods (Seth Green rods) had them on them so maybe garage sale or something like that and cannibalize it for the tip

Edited by Sk8man

Mike if you are going with SS 30lb wire you'll need either a twilli tip (fish307.c0m) or a roller tip rod. Also be aware that if the roller tip is a cheap one with the side plate made from soft metal like aluminum if the rod gets a bit sideways in the holder and the water is rough the wire can act like a hack saw on the soft metal side. Good roller tips these days aren't inexpensive (some over $100 or more).....look for some of the old school Allen brand tips if you can. Many of the older boat rods (Seth Green rods) had them on them so maybe garage sale or something like that and cannibalize it for the tip

Ok that's what I thought. Next year I'm going to try run the Seth rigs. You said 5 connections per rod? Then you can stick 3 rods out and still be legal,correct?

Mike,

I like the twilli tips.  They are universal, and if they get twisted in the rod holder they still work just fine.  Like mentioned above roller tips can be fussy at times.   I have 2 10 ft eagle claw dipsy rods and 2 8 ft Okuma dipsy rods.  I like them both, the longer ones are more limber thus they are more fun for FLX fish, but I have also landed 30# kings on them.  The shorter Okuma's I'm starting to like more and more.  My 4 yr old twins landed rainbows and lakers on both this summer so either one will work just fine.  If you ever plan on running 4 dipsys at once I would get 2 of each, then you can run the shorter rods low and inside and the longer ones high and outside.   Hope this helps.

Mike, what speed are you running?  I assume 2.5 mph?

I changed my walleye boards for TX44's. I can pull anything with those boards (wire, copper, mono, whatever).

I don't think I'd be too worried about the angle of the walleye board though, as long as they were getting my lines way off to the side.

With 150' of large diameter line, I would be suprised you are only getting 45 to 50' down. You're not going to hit 70' down until you get about 250' of line out.  Generally works on a 3:1 ratio, but does plane out.  A #1 dipsey probably planes out at 300' or so, but it is dependent on line diameter and density (drag and boyancy).

If you do go to wire lines, twillie tips work great. I've used them in the past. I think they are more forgiving then roller tips. I've used the torpedo roller tips - they are pretty good quality (at about $35 a tip).  Wire is definitely the way to go.

Have fun.

You can only run 3 rods solo correct? I ran 4 one day then realized I better check the rules and regulations before sticking bunch setups out and getting a ticket lol

3 rods in the USA, 2 rods on Canadian side (if you have the permits).

You can use a free/fixed slider to get an "extra" line in the water, without breaking the rules.

It's a technique. Free slider is take a 6 ft fluoro leader with a spoon on it. Put a snap swivel around your downrigger rod line. If a fish hits that line it will slide down to your bottom lure and you have the fish on. You need to reel really fast if a fish hits the slider to take the slack off.