115 efi Mercury 2007

RD9

I have two on the back of my boat and last year we fogged the plugs, drained lower unit and changed the oil. Is there anything else I should be doing? I also would like to know if there is any other recommended services / tune ups and should I replace the impellers it's been two years and I would say in that time Shane each has run about 125 hrs yearly.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as far as preventative maintince and winter storage. This is my second year in water with boat and all has gone fairly well.

My ace mechanic buddy laughs at me (saying it is unnecessary) but I add Marine Stabil to my 60 gal tank and I keep it full of 91 Octane non ethanol gas (the other option is to run it empty to avoid moisture buildup). I run Stabil year round anyway but I add more when I store the boat. The manual for the Merc motors says to change the impeller every two years but my last one was in for 11 yrs because I wasn't aware of that and my engine nearly overheated requiring that I be towed much to my embarrassment for the first time in 50 years of boating. I usually grease any fittings on my motors too.  Make sure you don't put away your boat without it being completely dry inside (e.g. after cleaning it etc. or you may have mildew).  If you have it plastic wrapped make sure it is ventilated and I also place a whole bag of charcoal  opened up in a garbage bag inside my boat as well to absorb any potential moisture. I know some guys leave the batteries in all winter but I have always taken mine out and place them on a rack in the cellar and periodically monitor them and keep them charged if they need it (seldom do). I'm not 100 percent sure about the EFI motor but my Optimax requires the High Performance lower unit lube (straight 90 weight rather than the Premium which is 80/90)

Edited by Sk8man

You probably already know this but before you pull your batteries make sure your motors are down, so no water or snow gets onto the prop area. I even take a kitchen size trash bag and put it over the prop and duck tape the bag so nothing can get in the bag or the prop area. Sounds like you got everything covered! Check water seperator and fuel filter for water also.

Edited by pap

Pap is right about the garbage bag over the prop I do it too. Make sure if the motor has been in an up position that you lower it fully to let out any water that may be inside and drain your bilge compartment as well.

Your welcome RD9, us guys, well me anyway been there done that with the cost of not knowing any better, will more than gladly give useful info out so others don't make the same mistakes!!!!

I would replace the impellers if I were you.  I do mine every other year on the same motor (2011 4 stroke).  Really depends on your environment though... for me I'm regularly in sandy environments so it's a must.

Might be worth putting a fresh set of plugs in also.  I put new plugs in every year.

Edited by FleetTracker