PROPS

ok well I hope some one can help I am looking to get the boat to slow down a little what prop would i need? I have a 22' aluminum islande with an in line 6. it slows down with he bags out but I would like to get it were i can just troll down.

I had a 26' Islander for years. A plate works well, but hinders steering.

I had best results with bags.

Some guys have been fabricating big trim tabs that they put down to slow their boats, you may want to look into that.

CC

F77 - What you're looking for is a prop with a LITTLE less pitch. Your prop should be stamped with a number. I.E. 17, 18, 19, 20 or something like that. Getting a LITTLE less pitch means your boat will not go as far with every revolution of the prop. However you will also lose high end speed. Note that I said a LITTLE. (cap letters) Less pitch also means you will probably gain RPM on the high end which, if you go to far, can be very detrimental to engines. I'd definitely check with the dealer & explain what you want to do before going out & buying a different pitch prop.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Longline hit the nail on the head. On my old Penn Yan we ended up changing the prop for one with a little less pitch and we were able to troll down a lot slower, plus we had the engine operating at it's optimal upper RPM range. The mechanic that we used down here in Ithaca recommended the prop change after he did some work and needed to sea-trial it. What a HUGE difference. Best bet is to check with a qualified marine mechanic before making and change in props.

Beware of prop changes if you go to far you can cavitate and over rev your engine. I would put a prop on in August that would allow me speeds sub 1mph for dodger fishing, but no top end (cavitation) Was great for the dodger fishing we used to do circa 1988, fishing the ledge at the oak, didn't need to go far.

Also with fuel prices being what they are today the most important thing about your prop is fuel effeciency.

Before buying a prop ask some fishing buddies (marinas) to let you borrow one of a different pitch. They are easy to change. Try them out and see what you get.

CC