Fuel Tanks

G-Daddy

What a winter it was. First my small center console boat sprung a fuel leak. I removed the console and took up the deck section covering the tank. I discovered it to be severely corroded due to being imbedded in flotation foam when installed at the factory. I ordered a tank yesterday and will pick it up in New Jersey on Friday. It will keep me hopping to get the bot ready for our memorial weekend trip.

Next I found a leak in the Sportcraft 252 inboard. I haven't even found out which of the two 55 gallon tanks the fuel is coming from. I If it is also a leaky tank is there anything I can do other that cutting the deck to get at it?

I had a hose on the back of my tank leak gasoline when the tank was full and the front of the boat was elevated to drain the bilge water . Impossible to tighten the clamp. Pulled the tank and now carry three six gallon portable tanks. Easy to fill at the cheap gas station and easy to keep clean from water problems with ethanol deal. They take up some deck space but they do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Started digging out foam and I'm getting pound after pound of gas soaked foam. Should have the tank out in another couple hours of work. Then I can get accurate measurements and order the tanks. I'm going with Atlantic Coastal Welding for these tanks. They did a great job on the other tank and their delivery is one week after approval.

By the way. I also found rotted balsa in the floor. I'm going to pour with Sea Cast.

That's not good, there was another member that just did sea cast, I think it was Justin. Where are you located I would love to come take a look at it when you're done pouring it. I am considering doing that on my boat next year/this winter. I need bulk heads and front stringers. I'm lucky my tank isn't sandwiched in foam. Edited by Chas0218

Location is south central PA near the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ok well nevermind haha thought you were a little closer. I'm from corning N.Y. Which is a short distance from the P.A. border. Edited by Chas0218

Got the first tank out - learned a lot. It will make the second tank removal easier.  Three 1/8" diameter holes. New tanks will take6 days for fabrication.  Need to have the boat ready for a trip to Point Breeze first week of August.

Using Atlantic Coastal Welding in Bayville, NJ.  I needed a tank for my small boat earlier this summer and ordered on a Monday and picked up the new tank on that Friday, Good job of making a beautiful  tank.  Now I need two bigger tanks. Ordered this morning and will pick them up on Friday July 8 after our annual trip over July 4 week to Chincoteague.Got to get them installed and the floor repaired before late July. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got both tanks out. Starboard tank has 4 holes.

post-146845-14675475325978_thumb.jpg

post-146845-14675475667614_thumb.jpg

post-146845-14675475846055_thumb.jpg

Port tank -can't see holes but it was completely dry and heavily corroded. Seacast is ordered and I pick up the replacement tanks on July 8. Got to get her finished for our July 30 trip. Good thing I retired in January.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow those are some pretty unique shaped tanks!! I had a issue this year I thought my fuel pump took a shyt, long story short I had to cut a 6X 8 inch patch out of my floor as everything pointed towards the one way valve in the fuel cell leaked the gas back into the tank and it like created a siphon it even drained my carb, that one I scratched my head on till I narrowed it down to the "anti-siphon valve" in the tank. Then with a break bleeder drew the gas from the take to the hard line that fills the carb. Now everything works per plan again. I sealed the cut sides with the wood hardener and put a aluminum diamond plate piece over the whole with silicon sealer between both pieces. Never knew such a critter in the tank ever existed. LOL?

Tanks are in the holes.

post-146845-14687010519465_thumb.jpg

post-146845-14687010690746_thumb.jpg

Next step is to repair the floors. Took off the top skins to remove the balsa. Sea Cast arrived via FedEx today. Ordered at 3 pm Thursday. So far that is great service. Going to try to get the plumbing and wiring done tomorrow.

The tanks are 18" wide at the top and 16" wide on bottom. 10-1/2" and 6-1/2" high and 91" long. 55 gallons. They run from 6" in from of the transom to the back of the engine room bulkhead.