Motor help needed

iceman6409

Ok. I recently posted for some help with my motor. I did receive some interesting responses and ideas. I think it came down to people telling me to take it to a boat repair shop. However right now I would like to avoid this if I can. What I am asking for is if any of you out there would be willing to come to my house in Seabreeze and take a look at this motor for me and, if anything, tell me your thoughts as to what may need to be done to make it work better. I will GLADLY pay you for your time. If by chance it does need some repairs and you can do it, again, I will gladly pay you.

As much as I would like to take it to a repair shop I know I would be without my boat for at least a few weeks probably. I would rather pay someone to come to me and see if they can maybe fix it faster. That's just me. Nothing against anyone out there in the repair world.

For motor info here is all I know. I am NOT a mechanic or boat person in any way. 1960 something Starcraft aluminum boat with a 35HP Evinrude motor. I do not know the year but it looks pretty old, possibly late 60's or 70's. Here is what I am having issues with. I filled a gabage can with water to let the motor run before I take it out this year. It starts nicely. However when I push the throttle handle forward I found I was not getting much more speed out of the motor by sound alone. It did rev up a little but not too much. Last year we had it on the water once and it ran between 20-23mph according to fish finder. I would like to get back to that speed if possible. A friend suggested maybe the throttle cable was frozen. I wouldn't know if I had to.

That is all I know for now. Again, if anyone would like to take a swing at this I will make it worth your while even if you cannot actually do the repair. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]. Thank you in advance

Ice

Thanks Ray. But being blatantly honest I have never changed a spark plug in my life. I don't even know where they are. I know - pathetic. Still looking for someone who would like to make some extra cash to help out though.

iceman -

Sure sounds like you're not firing on both cylinders. If you're throttle advances then the cable is not stuck. These are what plug wires look like on my Envinrude. (I have three plugs)

plugs2.jpg

Take your cowling/cover off. (there should be a lever) & look for the same things on your engine. They have a heavy boot on each end. Make sure the wires are securely attached on both ends. i.e. push on them. If your wires are attached okay then you're going to have to take it in to a mechanic as it could be the wire itself, the plug, points or the "power gizmo" that feeds the plug if you have one. A mechanic such as RAS could tell you in a couple minutes what's going on. If you don't want to go all the way to Spencerport then try Pugsley's on 104.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Ice: Do your self a favor and take it to someone that knows what's going on. All your going to do is thro money at it and probably still have the same problem's. For an hour's time if that to have it looked at labor wise it could save a lot of $$. There are a lot of good and reputable marinas out your way.

Iceman,Your going to tie your boat for to or three weeks fooling around and then end up going to a mechanic anyway. Drive over to the marina at east side Of IBay At the bridge,opps maybe you should drive around to the marina and talk to the old guy that owns it. Old motors are his thing. Maybe he can help you. If you don't know what end of the hammer to hit it with get someone that does. Times-a-waystin. Been there and did that.