Descending Devices for releasing deep caught fish

Anybody use these?  I found this video of a study done in Florida of various devices designed to release fish at depth and thought with all of the lake trout catching done here in recent years maybe we should be thinking about this.  

I could easily see a way of rigging up a chamberlain release to perform this same type of release at depth using a downrigger.  

Thoughts?  

I found the video interesting but I think it may have been done in California rather than Florida :)  I know the study was well intentioned but one of the things that strikes me is the absence of visual information about how well the fish actually survived. Some were still upside down when they became free so I wonder. Also holding the fish vertically doesn't do them a lot of good survival wise either :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

You're right.  California.  My bad, a different video mentioned Florida.  

Not sure what you man about holding them vertically?  You mean posing with them before they send them down?  Yeah I can imagine that wouldn't be great for them.  

You're also right about lack of information regarding how many fish actually survived.  I'd love to see a study that had a way of confirming that.  Ultimately I just thought it was an interesting discussion and I'm always open to methods that ensure as many fish survive catch and release as possible.  

I found the video interesting but I think it may have been done in California rather than Florida :)  I know the study was well intentioned but one of the things that strikes me is the absence of visual information about how well the fish actually survived. Some were still upside down when they became free so I wonder. Also holding the fish vertically doesn't do them a lot of good survival wise either :lol: