Gimble mount question...

Todd in NY

I got a great deal on 2 manual Penn downriggers with swivel bases on gimble mounts. I've never used gimble mounts before and I am surprised at how loose they fit inside the rod holders. Is that normal or should they fit tighter and not wobble? I'm guessing they won't wobble with the rigger weight in the water under trolling conditions, but that's just a guess.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Some of it depends on the quality/design of the mounts. Some of the holders are made from plastic or cheaply made metal mine are stainless. I've had mine for14 years and although if you put a lot of weight on the end of the extended booms on the down rigger they may bob a bit they are solid in the gimbal itself once anchored in them. There are different lengths on some gimbals too  and this could be the problem (i.e. too short for the downtube of the insert.

Thanks for the info Les. These are (possibly) factory installed rod holders on my 1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160. They are in good condition and appear to be stainless. The gimble mounts are made by Penn, so they are good quality as well. They aren't sloppy loose, but wiggle without the rigger on them. I haven't used them out on the water yet, but I was trying to figure out how much wiggle is normal and how much should be considered excessive.

Maybe hook safety lines to the riggers and test them out to see for real? :)

Funny, Les, Lol! I hope to get the boat out this Sunday and do a test run with the riggers. In the Army (I'm retired now), we don't call them safety lines, we call them "dummy cords" :lol:

G-Daddy, I will look into those vinyl liners if needed. They might help preserve my "image" a little better than dummy cords :), thanks for the suggestion.