It was rough out there today!

I knew it would be, but I wanted to get my "new" boat out on the water (1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160 hardtop with a 5.0L OMC Cobra). We left our fishing gear at home and I took my son and his girl friend to Henderson Harbor. We launched at the public boat launch and made our way north to the Black River Bay. My plan was to drive up the Black river Bay to visit Sackets Harbor, but as we entered BRB we found ourselves in 4-5ft choppy crap. It was so choppy that my bow was plowing through the tops of some of the swells. We turned around on the south end of BRB where it meets Henderson Bay because the farther north we went the worse it got. It was Emily's first time out on big water and she went from having fun to getting a little sick feeling. The boat handles the rough stuff better than I expected, and it wasn't a bad boat ride at all. But it wasn't fishable either, at least not in my opinion. Still a good day because we got out on the water.

Did anyone try to fish out there today!

I decided to install a radio at my dock, even that didn't want to cooperate let alone the wind. It looked rough out there. Happy you made it back in one piece!

Thanks Matt, I thought about you when I drove by your marina at 1:30 today. Did you get your radio installed?

That sucks! My electrician got the radio working that came with my boat, and I have a handheld for backup. I plan on fishing the first part of July when all these high school grad parties are over. Did you get a fish hawk yet?

Ditto on the waves.  I thought the wind would die down last night, but never did.  Headed from sackets down to the green can off wescotts around 7:00 PM to drag some tubes for bass but couldnt even get a good drift in.

Ditto on the waves. I thought the wind would die down last night, but never did. Headed from sackets down to the green can off wescotts around 7:00 PM to drag some tubes for bass but couldnt even get a good drift in.

Yeah, the waves were brutal in Black River Bay, but bearable in Henderson Bay. What size boat were you in? Even a drift bag off the bow wouldn't have slowed you down enough.

Edited by Todd in NY

We have our camper in the BRCG so I have to go out the Black River, if the wind is coming out of the south west/east the lake is rolling into the river coming out, this makes for some interesting travel!! That area in the bouys is only 4/7ft deep, I have already bottomed out with my 18ftr, now that's a ride luckily I was trimmed up!! Now I usually trailer down to Sackets or Henderson. Anyway Congrats on your maiden voyage!! Glad to hear she handled LakeO with ease! Any pics or was it to hectic? Either way glad to hear everything went well!! PAP

22' wellcraft using a 48" drift sock.  Couldnt keep a 1/2 oz tube on the bottom, not very fun with the boat rocking like that anyways though

Yep, that's why I left my fishing gear at home yesterday. At least you tried though!

We have our camper in the BRCG so I have to go out the Black River, if the wind is coming out of the south west/east the lake is rolling into the river coming out, this makes for some interesting travel!! That area in the bouys is only 4/7ft deep, I have already bottomed out with my 18ftr, now that's a ride luckily I was trimmed up!! Now I usually trailer down to Sackets or Henderson. Anyway Congrats on your maiden voyage!! Glad to hear she handled LakeO with ease! Any pics or was it to hectic? Either way glad to hear everything went well!! PAP

Thanks Pap, the boat performed above my expectations in those conditions! I was trying to take pictures and video but it was too rough to hold the camera steady. I tried taking pics of the Black River Bay as I was heading NW into it, where we were hitting those choppy 5 footers that kept swallowing by bow, but the camera just wanted to focus on the water-sprayed windshield. I don't blame you at all for trailering to Sackets or Henderson. I'll start another thread to show some pics of my boat on the trailer, because that's about all I have for the most part.