Iso Merc 120 or 140

FishingTheFL

There is this guy called "Gene" in Newark who has a little store selling boat parts and used engines and outdrives which he takes out of old boats. He often advertises on Craig's list

If you are changing the engine you should try and get away from all that older material. The 181 inch (3 liter) 4 cylinder engines of the 90s and early 2000s have a higher compression rating and electronic ignition. They are more fuel efficient and very trust worthy. Do try and stay away from the 4 cylinder 165 and 170 engines because they are prone to trouble (of the expensive kind). Having to change the outdrive is not a bad thing. there is not a whole lot of common sense in trying to keep going with a unit that has all the accumulated wear and tear of 50 years. You have all winter to get a good thing going.

I do not usually promote Harbor Freight gear, but given the price and the fact that you probably will use it only once or twice, you may want to buy a harbor freight cherry picker and engine stand to make working on your engine easier and safer.

I'd like to upgrade to a newer motor. Main concerns are the gimbal housing/bearing and transom plate. Will I have to change that with a 1990+ motor? Pre alpha and alpha 1 will match if I remember right, only got to change the upper if I upgrade to v6 or v8.

I been trying to find out how much of a pain it would be to change the engine mounts... But at this point, the rebuild is the same price as a new or used motor... I found a few boats near me, but one is a 89 mc 2.8... Guy insist its gas but I can only find it as a Cummings diesel. Looking at another that they say is a 305 Ford but I couldnt find any ford motors in Mercs to compare too. Just figured it was a 350, but it hasn't been ran in years... She is only asking $250 tho

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When you go to another outdrive it should come with the gimbal housing and transom plate. I do not think that the hole in the transom is any different.

As for different or larger engines..., Your boat was constructed with  certain weight  and power limitations in mind. Changing to a heavier engine is not a good idea because you will have to change other things to accommodate that. As for ford,OMC used them a bit. Just ask yourself why mercruisers are still around and liked. The only other popular one is Volvo-Penta.

As for $250.. you get what you pay for.

Edited by rolmops

I've got a lot of emails and stuff out. Thanks for the info about the holes in the transom. That was my biggest worry being aluminum, I didn't really think about the weight, I was worried about how it would mount in, and the holes in the transoms for the gimbal housing. I'm 100% new to I/o but I think I got it down.

Lady said its a 305 Ford, kinda figured it might be OMC but if I remember right it had a MC out drive. I'm not to worried, she says it hasn't ran in a few years... And I don't need another rebuild...

Finger Lakes Marine Repair

4918 Tellier Rd

NewarkNY 14513

(315) 331-7749

This is the address and phone of Gene.

I have no interest or opinion about him. I do know that he usually has some stuff.

I've looked at a lot. Close I found was a 170 for a drop in but if rated max 120... That makes that to big and the 140 to big... Maybe I miss read it since its old but I'm 99% sure it says 120 max HP... So rebuild... Or run it til she blows... I already got $1700 in parts and who knows how much in labor... Plus the boats cost... I would hate to dump another $1500 into it... Plus a floor... I really like the fact its aluminum... Sucks I can basically stick one motor in it

I tries Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, finger lakes... Buffalo is a little far

Edited by FishingTheFL