New to Big Lake Trolling (Dipsy)

I'll do my best to keep this short but am looking for advice on trolling setups. I don't have riggers but want to try and get in the game with Dipsy's. Please give some recommendations on the following (or more if I missed something):

- Line weight from rod/reel to Dipsy? Mono? Braid? etc?

- Size of Dipsy?

- Type of knot from rod/reel to Dipsy?

- Dipsy settings?

- Length of leader from Dipsy to lure?

- Line weight of leader? Mono? Braid? etc?

- Type of knot from Dipsy to leader?

I only have a 17' center console boat and plan on running 2-4 rods. I have never done this before or actually seen the setup in person so simple responses are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think you'll get all the answers your looking for and then some if you use the search feature for dipsey's in " Tackle and Techniques" . Use a general dipsey search to start and then get more specific (ie: wire knot) to find more detailed info your looking for.

You'll have more reading than you'll have time for but just scan down the list of topics and jump into the ones than are of interest.

For a newbie I would start with 2 setups and head off to the lake for some experience. The species of fish and lakes you'll fish will dictate what type of line/wire to use. All the knots, leaders, sizes, etc. are mentioned multiple times.

Do some reading and then come on back and ask questions to fine tune.

Good luck and remember, this is suppose to be fun. Frustration will hit every now and then even for the best fishermen so don't feel alone. That is why this board is loaded with info and guys & gals that contribute to this sport. ;)