Smoking venison

Dylan585

I have smoked venison and I have marinaded it for a day or two and wrapped in bacon.  Like the others said, you have to do something to prevent it from getting too dry.  I did my slim jims this year on the smoker instead of the dehydrator and they are the best I have ever made...

• 4 weeks later...

Put a pan of your brine on the burner if you have one, should have one inside, I use a smoke house with external wood stove, usually they call it a steam generator, which keeps meat moist at the same smoke infusion is still taking place. Lots of specialty dry cure meats and European sausages and bologna use steam generators, which is simply a pan of water on a burner.

This may be my first post....had to share this.....I am one of those who out of respect, hunger, greed, cost to hunt, culinary adventure etc.eats every possible morsel on what I get in the field and on the water....cuts and pieces one can get to with reasonable effort. Brains are exquisite sauteed in the French tradition, but way too tough to get to.  So, I can say one of our staples is a corned Venison shoulder and " steaks " and meat from the brisket. Another staple is a Venison stew that will blow your socks off. ( Save the kidneys for a favorite stew recipe. ) A must for us is the LL Bean Game and Fish Cookbook by Angus Cameron and Judith Jones. The book used to be on Amazon and was very inexpensive..I have given many as gifts and thanked profusely. Oh, and save the tongues as well.they are excellent braised or pickled as were the lamb tongues in the jar in the old days with mustard, crackers and ice cold beer. Be brave and have FUN !