where to start?

ok.so i hear there is now 44 degree water 60 feet down in mex. bay.there is bait in 80 to 110-20 fow.why run to 200-300 fow?shouldn't the fish be between 41-54 degrees in/around the bait?or am i missing something?was thinking deeper fri am but if the water temp is that cold at 60 ft down and i find bait,curious as to why most are going deeper.thanks.

Keithg:

The data on 44 degrees at 60 feet came from me; I'll privide data and let you make your own decisions.

I marked significant bait and arches between 70 and 95 fow but they seemed to dry up deeper than that. I wouldn't have been surprised to find a king in there but, more interesting was that all the browns came from 70-75 fow which put them well below the 44 degree level. This must be the effects of global warming on the fishery :lol:

We had a strong NE wind on Sunday which pushed the warm surface water SW and pulled cooler water into Mexico Bay. If you look at the NOAA Lake Ontario Surface Temperature site, you will see the East end has cooled significantly from Friday. I didn't check it on Monday but I bet it was even cooler then. The prevailing Westerly winds will correct than soon so, we'll likely need to continually go deeper than 60 fow for kings.

The important thing is that the thermocline is setting in and showing on fish finders. This will bring those buggers into reach of our DRs, dipsies and junk.

my probe rigger developed a minor problem last weekend.if the cold water stays i would think they should come in as long as the bait is there.will run out with the ff on and if i spot hooks we'll give them a whack.and yes it was your report,thanks for the info.could be the temp has to stabilize for a few days before the salmon move shallower.gas wise,the shorter the run the better.see you this week-end.

i'm sure there are salmon around in close around the bait, last weekend at the sodus pro am we pulled in a king 70 fow off bottom while brown fishing, the only deal is that the short water will change so rapidly from the wind, this seems to keep the majority of kings out in the deeper more stable water. If it were me i'd leave an hour earlier in the morning and give that extra hour in the 105 to 135 fow range and if nothing goes then you can still head out deeper and hit that early morn bite if you can find them.