Imaging units really worth it?

Imaging units really worth it?

Are side/down imaging game changing features? I'm mainly a bass/walleye guy only occasionally get out for browns and salmon. Are imaging features worth it enough for me to go with an older used SI/DI unit or get a new sonar/gps only unit? Basically I'm looking at a brand new Humminbird helix 7 or an older Humminbird 898c SI/DI unit. Has to be a HB as I just upgraded to ipilot link. I've been using a gps/sonar only for years and caught plenty of fish without imaging... but this is my chance now to change as I won't upgrade again for a while. Electronics upgrade so fast I worry about buying a unit that's already 3-5 yrs old. But if imaging is worth it I could prolly justify it.

as a guy dragging boards or casting the majority of the time I only very rarely mark the fish I catch. Mainly I find myself using sonar just to maintain my target depth. 

Edited by FishingFool34

I have a Raymarine a68 and love my down imagining. The amount of detail and sensitivity is crazy compared to traditional sonar. It actually makes me quite upset seeing the fish under my boat and not catching them. Below is a picture of the CHIRP sonar. I also have the Down Imagining screen but don't use that much because I don't really fish structure. I have some screen shots I'll have to find.

20160507_085913_zpsq2jmsxny.jpg

Defiantly worth it especially if your a bass and walleye guy! If you jig for eyes or drop shot for bass it's a game changer in my opinion. I can usually watch them come up and hit my bait on the unit. Sonar vs down image 

IMG_9567.JPG

The new helix 7 I'm looking at has CHIRP sonar, where the 898 is only "regular" sonar. Will SI allow me to see my baits on boards or downriggers?

Is a 7" screen going to allow me to utilize the imagining properly?

The DI looks awesome I'm not debating that, minus a good amount of detail and cool factor... sonar is showing pretty well what is going on down there.

Edited by FishingFool34