1992 sea ray cracks in manifold and Y pipe

1992 sea ray cracks in manifold and Y pipe

Looking for advice please. Cracked the Y pipe last winter. fixed with jb weld. The boat ran great. This winter I cracked both exhaust manifolds. Boat ran fine and they didn't leak on driveway test. Took out and ran up the river 1/4 mile and the gimbal bearing started howling. 

Does the exhaust go over the gimbal? 

Can I remove all of this and run thru hull pipes?

any help is very much appreciated. 

Mine doesn't it's just If that's the OE one yet. Make sure your not getting water intrusion back there, your not getting water in the bilge area? I'm done with the pink anti freeze I had the same thing happen this winter, that stuff freezes also, but not supposed to have the expanding going on like water does, it pushed for me cracked my block. I called them up because I put it in a cup and it gets slushy in the 20's and bone hard in the freezer. Try it for you self you'll see!!

Your  main bellow is cracked and that's where your water intrusion into the gimbal bearing is coming from. Not your exhaust,they are two separate circuits. While your changing that out do the shift bellows as well. NAPA sells those parts. Then make sure the engine is aligned to the gimbal.  Thru hull pipes would be a expensive time consuming loud fix.  Exhaust manifold do not have any pressure so if there cracked where you can JB weld them they may hold up. One other option is ebay and just replace them. I drain all the water out of my block and exhaust manifold ,blow some air into all the openings and use a pick to make sure the exhaust holes are clear of debris. Air don't freeze.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

53 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Your  main bellow is cracked and that's where your water intrusion into the gimbal bearing is coming from. Not your exhaust,they are two separate circuits. While your changing that out do the shift bellows as well. NAPA sells those parts. Then make sure the engine is aligned to the gimbal.  Thru hull pipes would be a expensive time consuming loud fix.  Exhaust manifold do not have any pressure so if there cracked where you can JB weld them they may hold up. One other option is ebay and just replace them. I drain all the water out of my block and exhaust manifold ,blow some air into all the openings and use a pick to make sure the exhaust holes are clear of debris. Air don't freeze.

Thanks! As for the gimbal, should I replace it or just grease it? It was replaced a few years ago. 

If it was growling the damage is done. I believe you can get one from NAPA or on ebay for a reasonable price. You can stick your hand in there and rotate it,should be able to feel the roughness as it rotates. . The race that holds the bearing should pop out if it was replaced recently. I have had some that didn't want to budge . You can remove the bearing by itself, there are two detents on each side of the race, rotate the bearing where the indentations are and it will slide out by hand. You might have to put a tube of some sort into the bearing hole to get it started,just use it as leverage.When putting it back ,lightly tap into place with a small peice of wood against the bearing so you don't compromise the bearing. Some may insist you replace the race but it worked great for me when I skipped that step.

Edited by Bozeman Bob