Rocket launchers, what is the purpose?

I made a rocket launcher for the boat, out of PVC. I am wondering what they are used for? Obviously, to hold rods, but when do you use them? Are they used between home and the launch, or are they used during the day while fishing to temporarily hold rods? I keep my rods in the side rod holders under the gunwales. They do need to be taken down to put in the holders, but I keep them in the boat always, don't have to meds with them at 430 am in the morning. I hope this is not a stupid question, but I do wonder what the use of the rocket launcher is for different folks, since I just built one! IMG_20180624_172814969.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are used during trolling (not for rod storage) when pulling planer boards. I use them for in-line planer boards. They are typically called vertical rod trees and they provide better line separation as compared to horizontal rod trees. The top tube can be used as a net holder or keeping an extra rod ready during trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just remember after the release let’s go they need to be sturdy enough to handle a fish until the rod is removed and your in control. I realize your thinking about take them down. Just a FYI as what they will endure when used for there purpose.:yes:

a few years back I made some rod holders out of pvc pipe. it ended up costing me 2 trolling rods and reels. I was convinced a walleye wouldn't break the pvc. I was wrong!!! well it might not have been a walleye but it was something big enough to break my triple tree. I did manage to grab 1 pole before they went to the bottom. (not the one with the fish on it)

just some food for thought. ( you usually get what you pay for ) saved 300.00 on triple trees and lost 400.00 in rod and reels.

• Like 1

Garry, the rod trees are designed to run multiple lines on planer boards off the side.  The vertical separation created by the rod tree design allows for lines to clear each other when a fish hits and loads the rod.  I agree that PVC would not hold up.  Most of the major manufactures of fishing systems have a planer board rod tree base that you can mount on top of your gunnels.  Getting your rods up high also serves to make your inline planer boards track further out.  

17 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Garry, the rod trees are designed to run multiple lines on planer boards off the side.  The vertical separation created by the rod tree design allows for lines to clear each other when a fish hits and loads the rod.  I agree that PVC would not hold up.  Most of the major manufactures of fishing systems have a planer board rod tree base that you can mount on top of your gunnels.  Getting your rods up high also serves to make your inline planer boards track further out.  

Thanks Gill T. I think I will stick to the metal ones I have mounted already. I use the level ones for dipsey and I use the one sticking up for the planer rods. I only fish one planer on each side anyways.