Thumper rig questions

I am putting together a thumper rig for next year, I have the wire on the reel and twilli tip rod, not sure about what to terminate wire with,amount of weight, leader spacing, swivel, etc?

Chowder I can only tell you what has worked for me. First off, at the end of the wire, I use a coast lock swivel. I then tie on a piece of 30# mono app 6' in length off the welded ring. leaving the swivel to hang. Off the opening of the swivel itself I will hang either a 12 or 16 oz. lead weight depending on where preferred temps are at. On the mono I will usually use a Luhr Jensen Silver Glo dodger with a green krinkle or hypnotist fly. Then slowly let out thumbing it to obtain desired depths. A real rough guesstimate for a 1# weight would be app. 100' down with 250 out on your L.C. Obviously this is rough due to variables. Then simply watch rod tip for proper thumping action to obtain the right down speed. I used this setup for many years before I broke down and bought a down speed indicator.-Best of luck-Duane

O.K. I got it so far but I am confused about setting down speed to achieve proper action on the thumper. If I am feeling pretty good about a certain down speed range for the riggers and dipsy baits wouldn't I let out or reel in wire untill the thumper showed proper action?Also what is a good source for the large weights?

Chowder- As far as larger weights, some are simply making their own, or I use to get mine at Capt. Cove at the Oak. Narby's use to have them as well I believe. Really nothing to be confused about. The old school of thought was that it was taboo to spin out dodgers. No longer true. Point being- the dodgers are more speed tolerant than some think. Yes there may be days when spinning them out won't provide the strikes desired, but there are also many days where the opposite is true. Again, if you are using down speed and temp, chances are your thumper will be compatible with your entire spread as well. Again simply watch rod tip for a thumping action. It is not that hard to notice what one considers the proper action for that particular rod. As far as letting it out for proper action, I'm targeting a certain temp range in the app. location with both weight amount and length out behind the boat. It does come will trial and error, but having read some of your past posts, I'm sure that you wil pick it up very quickly. Best of luck with it-Duane