Float rod and reel

B8buket

I'm a beginner when it comes to this FORM of fishing....not to fishing for steelhead or salmon.

I'm interested in it and would like to try it......I mainly fish the small tribs.

occasionally hit the bigger tribs.

I'm having a hard time deciding on what length of rod to buy. I've come across lengths from 11'-6" to 15'-0".

I cant see buying anything longer than 11'-6" to fish small tribs....then there are the reels any suggestions?

A local sport shop has a combo consisting of a choice of various length rods (Browning "Six Rivers" float rod ) and an Okuma (Adventa)reel?...for a couple hundred bucks......would this be a good beginner set-up. Not sure

if I want to dump a ton of money into it just yet.

I know there's some pinners on this site.....help a rookie out :)

Thanks

Slider,

I have the Sheffield reel, bought it used, no problems so far, knock on wood. I also use the Six rivers, and it is a great rod, enough back bone for kings and great on steelies. I run 8 lb main, then leader down to 6 or 4 when it gets low, and clear. Here is a great site for info on float fishing, a good bunch of guys just like here.

www.salmoncrazy.com

Good Luck, you are now going to be a member of the Darkside.

Rich

iv yet to meet someone that didnt like float fishing with a centerpin... personally i would skip on the okuma stuff.. i would try to find a Islander Steelheader.. nice reel and wont break the bank either.. be warned buying float gear is a addiction!

Where would I be able to check out one of those reels?

Slider,

I have the Sheffield reel, bought it used, no problems so far, knock on wood. I also use the Six rivers, and it is a great rod, enough back bone for kings and great on steelies. I run 8 lb main, then leader down to 6 or 4 when it gets low, and clear. Here is a great site for info on float fishing, a good bunch of guys just like here.

www.salmoncrazy.com

Good Luck, you are now going to be a member of the Darkside.

Rich

What would (do you think) would be the typ. length rod everyone uses.

I'm thinking fishing Salmon R. and Oswego I'd might opt for a 13-0 rod,

but fishing little tribs. I'm thinking 11-6. Do you think they make them shorter?

I'm guessing the one of the rods purpose is to keep line off the water to

aid in the drift.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

iv yet to meet someone that didnt like float fishing with a centerpin... personally i would skip on the okuma stuff.. i would try to find a Islander Steelheader.. nice reel and wont break the bank either.. be warned buying float gear is a addiction!

Where would I be able to check out one of those reels?

http://www.fishusa.com/Islander-Steelhe ... VP1UFFEN3D

SM,

You can check some of these out at Fat Nancy's, or Whitiker's, both are in Pulaski. As far as rod length, the 13' is probably the best all around, it will be tough to find a shorter rod for the smaller tribs. Most guys make one out of a fly rod, or have one custom made. I fish Oswego and the SR with the Six Rivers, with the higher water it is nice to have a little heavier rod. I think for a starter setup, that Aventa/Six Rivers combo would be good, unless you could get the reel upgraded to the Sheffield, or the extra $$$ for a Raven or Islander. I will be upgrading in a year or 2, and giving this setup to my daughter. Good Luck.

Rich