Pheasant opener

Another successful pheasant opener. I hunted the Tompkins Cayuga County co-op on stand-by and killed 2 roosters. I was hunting with my 11 year old Brittany and my 8 month old lab puppy. The Brittany Started the birds, which were together, and after 2 shots the lab retrieved them to me. The puppy is doing awesome and has a master bird hunter to follow around the field and learn from. Tomorrow I will be hunting with my son and we are both looking forward to spending time together. Good luck to everyone chasing game and be safe.

The coop is located on rt 90 just north of King Ferry. This year they have 9 areas open for pheasant hunting. You need to call at 1 o'clock  the day before you want to hunt to reserve an area. It can be tough to get an area depending on the number of people calling. They stock birds 2 times a week in each area.

I hunted Darien Lake St Pk .....probably for the last time. Second year in a row I got peppered. Three guys with no dogs walking thru soybeans shooting at moving  plants. Got two birds but had to work at it as high winds the night before and the lack of cover due to poor timing of grass cutting, put them in hedgerows. Went around Alabama today knowing it was opening of duck season and had the fields to myself. Proud papa as my rescue project dog flushed my bird, tracked where it fell then pinned the dead bird til I walked over. Not bad for a ratterrierpitbullpointerthingofamabob. 

• Like 1