new to musky fishing

I bet if 50 guys answer this you’ll get 50 different answers. When a musky decides to eat the next thing that goes by gets bit. Get a couple baits you like and keep them wet. Can’t go wrong with a jointed depth raider. Cheap too,as musky baits go. I recommend a natural color in that clear water. I have a black perch Ernie deep diver and a fire tiger Baker that are pretty chewed up too. I wasted a lot of time there when I started. If I could do it over I would have gone with a guide first to see where he went and what he used. It’s not like a lake where you can stalk the weed line until you hit one. You can be ten miles from the nearest fish there. good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Anything with though wire construction. There are so many good swimming baits out there. Legend, Baker, fretthold, heddon, Gramma etc.

I have a "musky mentor". His advice, get a solid reel with 100# braid, a quality stiff rod, wire leader, appropriate swivels that won't open, a through wire bait and play the moon. As already said, when it's their time to eat, you will get bit.

It was stressed to me that it's also as important to have a deep and wide net, a good set of pliers and a pair of side cutters for a buried hook. Keep the fish alive, so there will be more Giants to be had tomorrow.

There are some mega Giants up there. Good luck !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Anything with though wire construction. There are so many good swimming baits out there. Legend, Baker, fretthold, heddon, Gramma etc.

I have a "musky mentor". His advice, get a solid reel with 100# braid, a quality stiff rod, wire leader, appropriate swivels that won't open, a through wire bait and play the moon. As already said, when it's their time to eat, you will get bit.

It was stressed to me that it's also as important to have a deep and wide net, a good set of pliers and a pair of side cutters for a buried hook. Keep the fish alive, so there will be more Giants to be had tomorrow.

There are some mega Giants up there. Good luck !

You mentioned the importance of through wire baits twice and then listed 5 baits only 1 of which is actually true thruwire construction.  Fretthold, the least proven bait of those you've listed, but the only one that is actually throughwire.

You mentioned the importance of through wire baits twice and then listed 5 baits only 1 of which is actually true thruwire construction.  Fretthold, the least proven bait of those you've listed, but the only one that is actually throughwire.
So do you think a thruwire bait is a good recommendation ? It sounds like you have some knowledge about musky baits, maybe you could help the OP with some recommendations ?

I think thruwire is an amazing recommendation but high quality screw eye baits like bakers or well designed plastic/resin baits like depthraiders, Jake's, believers, grandmas or perchbaits all have thier place.  Legend perchbaits truly are the standard for both durability and productivity but that being said they arent a true thruwire bait.  Nobody needs to spend a fortune on baits to have success on the Larry.  Mike Lazarus catches his biggest fish every year on perchbaits, musky candies and depthraiders.  High quality reasonably priced baits.  If the goal is to catch muskies on the Larry I'd say spend the bulk of your investment on a high quality net, rod, reel and release tools and then equip yourself with proven baits that have caught giants there for years.   Perchbaits, musky candies, believers, depthraiders, Jake's and jointed stalkers wont do you wrong and wont break the bank.  Black perch, orange belly perch or anything walleye have always produced out there.  Drop em back and set the clicker.  

• Like 2

thanks every one for your input very  much appreciated...  I bought a few okuma cold water reels added 80 lb brad , a believer, a 8 inch jake  and 4 grandma lures to start with.. I also purchased a large 8450 fabril net ,,,, and a new canvas for my boat this yr.... so at this point my budget to date is pretty much blown.... lol... but it is a long time till fall so I may be able to add a few more things for the 2019 season. thanks for the input 

20190324_120013.jpg

20190324_120039.jpg

• Like 1