3 Rod / Person....just wondering

lyteline

Cyn and I have written several letters to the Dec about NYS allowing 3 rods/Person.We've not yet received any responce.Has anyone received an answer yet.It could be the budget crunch causing the delay in an answer.Cyn is a State employee and it took the State at least 4 months to replace her department's broken printer.Maybe they are behind on the their internet billings.....Zeke/Cyn(Strike 3) I bet it would pass for a fee of $10.00/year :devil::devil::devil:

Lyte-

Sorry I couldn’t answer this yesterday. (Had to move my son's to Albany for an internship)

I believe most of the emails get read and then forwarded to Steve Lapan who is the leader of the Lake Ontario Unit. I’ve had replies from Steve(I think Musky too). Last word was that he was going to take it up with the DEC regional fishery managers and with Albany. He stated that if there was some support among them, the DEC would then approach sportfishing groups for their interest. He also said he’d keep me informed. I'm sure the holidays have "slowed" things up. Also, with the current financial crunch, I’m sure some DEC folks are sweating quite a bit just like the rest of us.

I think we all realize that if the downward trend in the numbers of fishermen could be reversed that the state wouldn’t need to raise taxes on fishing.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hi Tom,thank you for the reply.We need to keep pounding on this to get it done.Your efforts are appreciated by many on this board AND many others that aren't members here.We are going to keep trying to get others to get onboard with this.Take care......Zeke/Cyn(Strike 3)

This proposal was raised at the DEC Stakeholders meeting on 12/16. The below note from Mike Waterhouse reflects the results. Looks like we need to continue writing those letters!

Joe Yaeger

Hi Joe,

The three rod issue was brought up at the stakeholders meeting last night by Kurt. Bill Culligan commented that it would not be until the next round of regulation proposals that it could be considered. He went on to comment that it didn't have a lot of support from the DEC side of the aisle. Just wanted you to know that it was brought up.

Mike

From Bill Hilts's Newspaper article:

Lake Ontario Notes –

At a Lake Ontario Stakeholders meeting in Savannah last Tuesday, in addition to things like the trout and salmon stamp being proposed and what was going to happen with staff and they relates to fisheries programs and hatcheries, a few items of concern came out. One was a proposal that would not allow any fish cleaning on the lake itself if that fish has a size limit of any kind. That would pretty much include all species of fish. While Niagara County is in a pretty good situation with fish cleaning facilities, the majority of the lake is not. That would mean boats would have to clean fish on shore and take whatever is left back out into the lake for disposal purposes – an added expense of time and gas.

Another hot topic that was discussed was the push to allow for three rods per person in Lake Ontario. A move was afoot to increase the number of allowable rods from two to three on the lake, primarily for salmon and trout fishing. Hey, if they have to pay an extra $10, why not? The purpose was not so much for increasing the number of fish they can keep, but for figuring out what the fish want on any particular day – for guys with one or two in their boat. Michigan went to that rod limit a few years ago and it has been a success so far. However, DEC at the meeting said that there wouldn’t be a new regulation like that just for Lake Ontario – it would have to be all or none. Overall, there’s just too much opposition to that type of a regulation. We’ll have more on this meeting in the future.