Been fishing Lake O a bit more recently and we’ve been struggling to catch kings on flasher/fly set ups. Anyone willing to give some tips on the concept? 

I run my flies 24 inches behind my flasher, my speed most of the time is 2.5-2.8 on my FH. Off riggers I run 10 ft off the ball in the morning . Then when sun comes up , I will run them 20-25 off the ball . I run them off dipseys with 9-10 ft lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, p3434 said:

I run my flies 24 inches behind my flasher, my speed most of the time is 2.5-2.8 on my FH. Off riggers I run 10 ft off the ball in the morning . Then when sun comes up , I will run them 20-25 off the ball . I run them off dipseys with 9-10 ft lead.

That about sums it up pretty well... I like glow colors early in the morning and then change up to more "flashy" colors as the day goes on. FF setups work well on longer copper lines as well.

• Like 1

What model and size flashers are you using? The last time I was out, my 10” spin doctors were crushing fish, but the 8” with the same rig and fly action (adjust the leader lengths), didn’t take a hit.

Flasher Flies always do great on my boat, and outfish my spoons hands down. I’ve also had a lot more experience with flasher flies versus spoons.

White/Mtn Dew Spindoctors anytime. Darker greens/blues in low light and brighter colors during high sun is usually a good rule of thumb, but any color combo could be hot at any time.

Length between my Diver and spin doctor is 10-13’, spin doctor to fly is 24”-36”. I will add two teasers between the spin doctor and fly as well. Behind a downrigger ball, I will run them 15’-30’ back. Every distance will catch fish, so find the distance you have confidence.

As much as flasher/spin doctor color matters on many days, so does the fly color. You can never go wrong with olive/white, but chartreuse/white, light blue/white, and dark green/dark blue take the majority of my fish.