Beagle pup

bill

Hi my name is bill and i have a 10 month old beagle pup. I had her out quite a bit over the summer months, and at least a half dozen times since deer season ended. I have not seen much rabbit sign lately and she hasn't opened up yet on a track. I was wondering if I should try to get her running with some other dogs, or if it's just a matter of time. I try to get her out every chance I get. I was also thinking about finding info about beagle clubs. She is my first beagle, I have always owned labs but,don't duck hunt anymore. Any info would be appreciated.

Bill, wher ya from or near now? as far as clubs you should find one near est you in a much shorter time than it took to type your post with a google search.hit the library for some good books and maybe some videos. there are 4 basic classes of beagles 1.field champ that is so intense it dont even know you exist ,just gives you that look and gets to buisness.2.a good hunting companion that sits 360 days in a cage thankful that you took it hunting the other 5 days.3.a loving pet that has its own bed in the house rides around in the car and is happy to see you ,hunt with you,or go for walks and is always looking your way anticapating your next move.4.(mine)a good pet that likes his belly rubbed whimpers with excitment every day you come home,loves rabbit (broiled please)chicken (deep fried),turkey(with mayo)and anything else thats etable and lands in his zone and it gets it before you can blink a eye .usually has the ability to swallow a entire platefull of food (mine) in less than 5 sec. and weighs 4 times its recomended weight.If you got a good hunter you should know it by now but a little proper training could spark that inner drive that is there but the two of you didnt see yet. as with all pets ,Enjoy,treat nicly,welcome it to the "family"and give it a good life ,and it will repay you with a friend till the end.

Good post Ray. I've had beagles most of my life. Some are natural hunters some not. But they are great companions regardless. The one I have now fall's into category 3 & 4 above. :) The only thing he hunts is the couch, ridin in the truck, or supper time.

Bill Your dog is young enough to train and as Ray said google up some club's in your area and get her running with some other good dog's if you can. She will either come around or not. Either way she will be a good and loyal companion. :yes:

Bill, we have had beagles for many years (dating back to my great grandfather). A beagle club is a very good option to train a pup because many of them have "puppy pens." They are also nice because many of them are fenced in and allow you to work with your dog to break it from running off game. My father and I have been members of the Tunkhannock Beagle Club in NEPA for the last 15 years. As Ray posted above there are many different classes of beagles. In order to have the 1st or 2nd option you are going to put in some time. At our peak in the "beagle world", we had one field champ, one dog that needed a win to become a field champ, and three or four dogs that usually placed in the top 5 at the trials. Since we decided to put more concentration into fishing we only have two beagles left, a house pet and a 13 year old #2. He still likes to hunt but only goes for a short period of time before he is worn out. When this particular dog was younger we ran him for at least two hours a day 6-7 days a week. Trying to get a good trial dog becomes like a full time job, but is very rewarding. This dog is the one mention above who needs one win to finish his field championship, he was also the #1 15" male in the state 2 years and runner up the third. He now gets to enjoy his life lounging around on the couch. A small trick that was not mentioned on breaking dogs is to use tame rabbits. When we want to break a pup, we go to teh livestock market and buy 3-4 rabbits. We then put them in a very small pen with some pallets and old christmas trees. Leave the rabbits in there for a couple of days and they will learn to run when they see you or the dog. We would then put a pup in the pen until they bark on the rabbits or catch one (if this happens grab the rabbit before it is injured and turn it loose). At this point the dog will never go into that pen again. Then you have to find a spot with plenty of rabbits and begin to work the dog. Sorry for the long post, Good Luck and if I can answer any other questions you may have feel free to ask.

• 4 weeks later...