Coming back to the Finger Lakes

Well gentlemen I am planning my first trip back to the finger lakes since the early 90s. It will be a spring trip mid April time frame. Mostly trolling streamers and shallow down riggers and planers for salmon and rainbows. Like Lake Ontario I am sure the lakes have changed a lot since my last trip. I am wondering if I should plan on Cayuga or Seneca?

Thanks!!

Hey fish, welcome back to the Finger Lakes. Nothing has changed at all, Seneca is still a deep cloudy murky pool with tons of smelt hitting the creeks in April, tons of people lined up on the sea wall catching slob lakers, huge browns out in front of the discharge at Dresden...... Ok so I maybe reaching a little..... yea, it’s changed from the 90’s quite dramatically in most ways but still a lot of fun. I’d say plan on hitting Cayuga more often when you come up. I still think you’ll do well with the streamers. Lots of help on here from some good fisherman. Good luck this spring.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Spring time shallow trolling on seneca is just as good. The atlantics are on the rise and the browns have been plentiful in the smaller class. Scorpion size spoons and the basic sticks from years past still are deadly. Look for your temps breaks and stained water.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 1/20/2020 at 8:22 AM, lakebound88 said:

Spring time shallow trolling on seneca is just as good. The atlantics are on the rise and the browns have been plentiful in the smaller class. Scorpion size spoons and the basic sticks from years past still are deadly. Look for your temps breaks and stained water.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the hints. We will be running planer boards and fly rods/leadcore depending on the day. I am assuming copper/orange, silver/orange and natural colors?

• 5 weeks later...