Ice thickness after warm spell

scurry322

So how did the ice fare over the warm spell? Does any one have any thickness reports? I mostly fish Sodus Bay near the Point.

Here is my report from last weekend

Only caught 6 fish Saturday, 3 keepers. Was on the ice from 2:30 until 5:30. Sunday I did about the same, caught 10, 2 Keepers. On the ice from about 8:00 until 4:00. All Perch, nothing else. The 4 I kept were very large, 12"-14" range (I keep nothing under 10"). Ice is still between 12"-14" thick, lots of standing water, and some slush. Was a good day except the wind really got going sometimes and caused problems.

The reports I'm hearing are that the ice is still plenty thick and plenty safe in many places.....but getting out to it is the problem. Open water between the shore and the main slab is hindering some folks. As always though....no fish is worth dying for. Be smart. Be safe. I'll be waiting until NEXT weekend to hit the ice again myself. I've got a buddy that promised to take me out on Seneca in his boat this weekend. He knows the elephant perch program there that the pros are so tight lipped about. That should be a nice change up. Then I'm going to think about concentrating on the nighttime crappie and walleye program again after that.

OK, I took a ride down to Sodus Bay, and all looks pretty good on the western shores. There is a bit of open water near 3rd Creek. but the ice was stable and solid near the public boat launch at the end of Margaretta Rd. There were only a few guys on the ice but it was late in the day and a bunch were coming off, talked to a few and they said the ice is still 14" all over.

Heading out Sunday.

I was out on Cranberry pond yesterday and despite the recent cold weather the ice seems bad and even looked like it busted open and refroze again, most of the white ice is still 10" . Allot of cracking sounds. let me know what the experienced icers think about the safety of the ice. thanks

The ice is fine. All the cracks are pressure cracks. It was cracking on Hemlock last week but it was making ice. It has been cold enough at night to lock things back up. The only issues would be with shore ice, creek mouths and gas pockets. Stay away creek mouths, or other places that might have moving water, carry a rope and walk out checking the ice with a spud bar.

I was on Sodus Bay yesterday, went on at 1st Creek, (public boat launch at the end of Margaretta Rd.). Ice was mostly in the 9"-10" range anywhere we drilled. Had some large pressure cracks happen while we were out but is very normal to hear while the ice is refreezing. One sounded like a rifle crack and the water jumped out our holes about 2". Lots of quads, and a few sleds out there with no issues, but as Gambler said be careful around certain areas that are prone to impede ice formation and carry a rope.

Fishing report: I took a buddy out yesterday we fished in 12' of water and mostly got skunked, 4 Perch total no keepers. Only spent about 4 hours out so we did not move around. We set up on the Western part of the bay, right in the middle of that end, within 100' of a bunch of other shanties. Got interviewed by DEC coming off the ice, and he felt we should be in the shallower water because Perch are spawning right now. He was very surprised to hear how bad we did.