planer boards

I have a 12 foot fiberglass boat that doesnt' have a lot of room and i want to try and run some planer boards for browns and rainbows. I was wondering what boards would work the best for me and what types of lures to run off of them. any info or tips would be great.. thanks

If you have rod holders I would just run inline planer boards such as Yellowbirds, or Church Boards.

here are some examples

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&sort=all&QueryText=inline+planer+boards&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

They are used on the line your lure is on, to bring the lure away and back from your boat. Just make sure you have a medium action rod to take the tension from the planer board. Run your stickbait back 60-100 ft depending on depth of water you are fishing and then attach the inline planer board then let the board out away from the boat. When a fish hits or the lure snags bottem the planer board will let you know if there is anything going on with the lure.

Small stickbaits such as rapalas, smithwicks, thundersticks all work well. Anything that dives 3-5 feet. Firetiger, black and silvers, orange white belly, blue on some days work well. I had some luck with spoons off my inline boards with a couple splitshot on them 5 ft ahead of the lure.

This kind of fishing is right around the corner and I cant wait!

Good luck

Jax, Thanks for mentioning about the use of split shot with the spoons. Under the trolling for Salmon tropic, I made mention about the use of some lightweight spoons such as Evil Eyes, which should have a shot attached. Simply overlooked it for it was rather late when posted.

Mike-One other suggestion is to attach a barrel swivel then use a premium flouro such as Seaquar app 8-10 # test of a length of app 7'. The barrel swivel not only will collect some debris but the Seaquar is less visible on some of the days when fishing gin clear waters. Which leads me to say that if trolling the shore lines be aware of any stained waters and runoffs. Plus if using a surface temp, keep an eye for any slight temp breaks.These are the area to target-H.T.H.-Duane

Mike,

One of our hottest spring setups last year was three color and five color lead cores run behind inline planer boards. This presentation worked great for steelhead/kings/coho from ice out until June. Typically we ran size 4d Northern King spoons (black/silver streak) and lots of DW SS spoons (orange crush was a favorite). We also ran the smaller coho Spin Drs. in red and orange with a small Howie fly. These tended to pull a bit more behind the boat, but were still effective.

We also ran our clean mono setups behind the boards, but typically we would use a 3/8 ounce inline keel sinker for added depth. We ran stick baits such as the Kaboom Goby patterns, GFR and clown pattern rapallas and a few smaller pirate spoons (homemade 5 of diamonds)

Hope this helps,

- Chris

Good im glad someone figured out the double post issue. I thought I didnt submit my post and was looking for it in the other...like Rob said, it confuses some of us.

Some of us arent the brightest knife in the drawer if you know what im sayin,, :doh:

Good luck let us know if you get out!