X-5 Update

momay4000

I can't believe it....finally after almost a year of waiting.....my X-5 shipped today. Hodges Marine is continuing to get more units in stock every day and apparently has worked on some of the backorder and "waiting list" and now has them in stock.

Nonetheless, I'll still believe it when I see it at my door....

I don't think you can beat their price - it's around $1455, no tax.....

-Chris

Disclaimer - I have no ties to Hodges Marine or Raymarine

Thanks Chris for the update. I will be replacing my 18 year old autopilot soon and I have been interested in the X5. Please keep us informed on how the install goes and how the unit works. The big thing is will it troll.

I've bought several items from Hodges Marine and they have been great to deal with so I would expect that you'll be satisfied with them also.

Good luck with it.

Chris:

I am curious to find out if you plan to have someone to install the autopilot on your boat.

The bunge cord is what I am using now to keep the boat on the course.

Protroll and autopilot are on my wish list.

Thanks for sharing.

Anthony

Anthony,

It looks pretty easy to install, but I'm having Bob at Pugsley's in Ontario install it for me this week simply because my boat is still shrink wrapped and he can work on it inside once he uncovers it. The unit looks fantastic, it looks very rugged and well built. The course control unit is small (only about 4 inches wide) and can mount anywhere on the helm. As far as the other parts - I'm going to mount the fluxgate compass and the computer unit on the wall opposite my helm inside my cuddy (it'll also be locked and secure). Apparently the fluxgate needs to be as close to the center of the boat as possible.

As far as the steering unit, it has a "torque arm" which needs to be screwed into the helm below the steering wheel so that the unit is anchored to something and doesn't just "spin" around instead of turning the wheel. Because I only have about an inch or two below my steering wheel to mount the torque bar (the base of my helm is open for foot space), I plan on making an extension out of aluminum to mount the unit.

I am very impressed with the build quality thus far. The unit comes with all the parts, including adapters for the steering shaft, and the manual is very well written - I just hope it works on the water.

I'll be at Mayer's this year again - on D dock, the yellow Trophy on the end. Once I get the hang of it, feel free to stop by any time for a test drive, see the mount, etc.

Take care,

- Chris