Lower unit grease change "extreme"

Prof T

I've got a question for "extreme" users. My boat's usually in the water for about 8 months and I put about 200 hrs on it annually. Power is a 2017 90 Merc Fourstroke w/ Command Thrust lower unit. I'd say 80 % of the use is trolling at about 600 RPM until October, then operation becomes more normal running from spot to spot for a couple of months.

I pulled boat this week and am going through the normal pre winter chores. Lower unit grease, Merc High Performance only, is as beat as any grease I've ever seen. Black and stinks! I realize now, after looking it up, that I about doubled the 100 hr recommended change interval. (or as buddy Kevin suggests, every 100 WALLEYES!)

My question is to those guys who keep their boats in. Do you pull mid season to do the 100 hr gear lube change? To anyone who runs 200 -250 hrs before change, how does the lube hold up? Research says that black and smelly is "normal" indicator for worn out lube. There's an acceptable amount of fine particulate, no shavings or chunks. I've run boats for 40 years and unless there's a problem with water infiltr20200815_060849.thumb.jpg.9025b0645dc38a1487b63b3a76d06093.jpgation of a part giving up, it's always come out looking just like when it went in.

I tend to create problems, but beaten up lubricant to me is a sign of problems to come. Next season I plan to start checking it at 50 to 75 walleyes, I mean hours,

DSCN1581.JPG

Gene-7763.jpg

• Like 1

I pull my boat twice a season for full servicing but every 100 hours is not gonna happen for me....I put over a thousand on mine last season!  I evacuate the tank, do the fuel filter, plugs, oil, lower unit, and quick bottom wash as well as a good looking over.  Fuel lines are definitely changed occasionally and anything my mechanic sees as a potential issue is fixed proactively.  last year we did the impeller and seals as they showed signs of real wear and I prefer prevention to cure.

Any of you that have fished with me probably remember my dog Sully.  Sadly after 15 wonderful years of friendship and loyalty I had to have Dad come put him down here at home.  He was loved by us till the end and we were able to be home with him the last few days.  The campground and our family won't be the same without him.   

KIMG0562.JPG

KIMG0371.JPG

KIMG0160.JPG

KIMG0560.JPG

Any of you that have fished with me probably remember my dog Sully.  Sadly after 15 wonderful years of friendship and loyalty I had to have Dad come put him down here at home.  He was loved by us till the end and we were able to be home with him the last few days.  The campground and our family won't be the same without him.   
KIMG0562.thumb.JPG.0b82fae66df79b14551dd2a4c45358b1.JPG
KIMG0371.thumb.JPG.0d2fda1fade41dc8f813b57139ca4bcb.JPG
KIMG0160.thumb.JPG.9906350b9fc4f818762018ce375f0726.JPG
KIMG0560.thumb.JPG.54d12d57ac91f6dc4294f61508e07945.JPG

Sorry for your loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've got a question for "extreme" users. My boat's usually in the water for about 8 months and I put about 200 hrs on it annually. Power is a 2017 90 Merc Fourstroke w/ Command Thrust lower unit. I'd say 80 % of the use is trolling at about 600 RPM until October, then operation becomes more normal running from spot to spot for a couple of months.

I pulled boat this week and am going through the normal pre winter chores. Lower unit grease, Merc High Performance only, is as beat as any grease I've ever seen. Black and stinks! I realize now, after looking it up, that I about doubled the 100 hr recommended change interval. (or as buddy Kevin suggests, every 100 WALLEYES!)

My question is to those guys who keep their boats in. Do you pull mid season to do the 100 hr gear lube change? To anyone who runs 200 -250 hrs before change, how does the lube hold up? Research says that black and smelly is "normal" indicator for worn out lube. There's an acceptable amount of fine particulate, no shavings or chunks. I've run boats for 40 years and unless there's a problem with water infiltr20200815_060849.thumb.jpg.9025b0645dc38a1487b63b3a76d06093.jpgation of a part giving up, it's always come out looking just like when it went in.

I tend to create problems, but beaten up lubricant to me is a sign of problems to come. Next season I plan to start checking it at 50 to 75 walleyes, I mean hours,

DSCN1581.thumb.JPG.cf99800e345d15ac24037358d55baf37.JPG
Gene-7763.thumb.jpg.71d6f7629128207fec8197f91b5316fa.jpg

That boat and location look familiar!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I saw the pics of Sully looking for a couple scenic pics to post and figured it was time to let a few of his friends know.... obviously way off topic and I apologize for hijacking your thread Prof T, but we walleye guys all follow the same people regardless of topic.  Sully was all about being on the boat and sure put his time in....he definitely only got excited over walleye as he never got to eat any fish other than the walleye trimmings....thanks Kevin