TR-1 Gold Bracket / Actuator Question

PA Matt

Has anyone successfully used a TR-1 Gold bracket and actuator that wasn't specifically "called out" for their kicker? I have a 1996 Yamaha 15 hp that I bought new. I'm looking at using the TR-1 on it and the closest bracket/actuator setup sold is for a 1998 and up Yamaha. I found mounting instructions for the 1998 and up kit and it looks like I may be able to make it work. 

Thanks

Matt

• 2 months later...

I have a question for you,thinking about putting a TR1 in my boat, do I nee the throttle actuator to make the unit work? I have a troll master for my throttle now.

Thank you

It is my understanding that the steering function will work without the throttle control. I am ordering the TR-1 in the next few days. I had to machine a piece of aluminum in order to make the cylinder bracket work with my kicker. I'll probably forgo the throttle control this year and just set it at the motor for now.

22 hours ago, sid said:

I have a question for you,thinking about putting a TR1 in my boat, do I nee the throttle actuator to make the unit work? I have a troll master for my throttle now.

Thank you

No, I have the TR1 gold without the throttle actuator and it works perfect.

• 1 month later...

Sid

It doesn't look like they make one for your motor. There was not one for my motor either. What I did was buy the closest one to my motor that was listed. Once I received the bracket I made sure the mounting holes lined up with the bolts on my motor. The next thing I did was buy the hyd cylinder to make sure I could mount it so that there would be no interference with the cylinder operating. This involved making an aluminum block to shim the bracket out far enough so the cylinder did not hit the motor in either the full open or close positions. Once I did all this I bought the rest of the gold kit.

I figured if the bracket and or cylinder did not work I was not out a whole lot of money. I installed it last weekend and it works great. Have not had the boat in the water yet but have been testing it out while I wait for my prop to be repaired.

Here's a link to Garmin's list of brackets.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=iWIKkJsON5AUtL3TUMduC7

Hope this helps.

I figured I have to do something like that,sounds like you did a great job. Still debating on getting one even though they discontinued it,parts can be a problem, here a lot

of guys had problems with the pump so I don't know what to do.

I'm on my second TR-1 in last 20 years. It really helped sell my 1989 Lund Genmar back in 2015. Current boat is a 1997  22 ft Penyan Outrage with a 9.9 Prokicker. Love my TR-1 and my prokicker. If the TR-1 dies I'll probably replace with garmin reactor 40 which I've heard very good reviews on. Love the boat control and economy of AP on the Kicker. Trolling with AP is fun.  No AP is not fun IMHO.

I have an extra Yamaha bracket kit if you're interested. I bought the wrong one initially for my kicker and couldn't return it because I opened it. Its the 120-1080-00 kit and it was never used, could be a good starting point to build your own from. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Edited by FishingFool34

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update for anyone considering the TR-1. As mentioned above, a little modification to the bracket is all I needed. Been using the TR-1 for almost 4 weeks now and it works perfectly!!! I'm just using it to hold a course right now and make minor adjustments, haven't got it to anything more yet. I'd do it all over again if I had to. Those of you with older kickers like mine that still run like a champ may want to consider this option. 

Matt

• Like 1