exhaust tub

FISHBANDIT

My exhaust tub came loose from out drive were it clamps to outdrive. How important is it to reconnect it as it is impossible to get my finger in to tighten the hose clamp that came loose? When the out drive is down it lines up perfectly but no room to tighten it. It looks like I would have to take appart alot to get room to get in there to fix it, any suggestion? Or should I just leave it, maybe it was like this last year and I just didnt realize it.

What type of out drive? On a merc there is a hole in the side of the housing that a 1/4" extension will fit through making in it much easier to tighten. If that hole doesn't work, on the bottom of the housing on the starboard side I believe that there is a recess that allows more room for you to tighten the clamp. I have found that it is much easier to do this with the out drive removed. I have heard that you can run it with out because the exhaust riser is above the water line, but I do not know this to be true.

The new style replacement exhaust bellows on the Merc outdrives only have one clamp which is on the front end.When you lower the drive the outside end self aligns itself.There is no need for a clamp on that end.Maybe that is what's on yours,but if not I don't think it would matter all that much.Of course I could be wrong. :)

Ya its probably ok its a 2004 Merc and it looks like it lines up perfectly when its down. I dont see how the hose could strech out if it was hooked up any way. The only thing that throws me is there is a hose clamp on the loose end. I ll leave it. Thanks for the feed back. :yes: