Temps and spring fishing questions

Cayuga veterans: What temps do we need to see for good surface action in the shallows? Last spring we used inlines in the south end in mid April and then worked our way up the east shore, staying fairly close to shore. Is there much of a stix board bite out over the deeper water simultaneously w/ a shallow board bite, especially later in the day? What pattern will the alewives follow for the next 2 months? When they spawn how does that affect the trout and salmon?

Chowder, This has been an unusual winter. we haven't been able to find fish that are bunched up. The best days that we had were over deeper water throwing everything at them that we had! This means boards, downriggers, and wire at the same time. We caught fish at all levels without any one method doing better than the other. Personally, I would suggest boards early in the shallows then hitting the deeper water if you're not successful in the shallows. The last trip we boated 3 large LLs one on top, one at 25' off the riggers, and the other on a fly and dodger at 60' so go figure!

Transition time on Cayuga can be really tough going till the water warms up and the bait starts to come shallow. The south end used to be fantastic when the smelt came in usually around the 1st or 2nd week of April. Not many smelt around down there these days so the fishing has gotton slow there.

Most of the sawbellies are DEEEEEP right now and with the water still very cold, most of the fish are hanging off the bait. They don't want to expend energy in the cold water chasin down bait.

Last time I was out, I only marked fish deep around the bait. Like I said Cayuga is tough in March unlike LO which can be on fire at this time for browns. Board fishing will get better once the water warms up. Usually for me I start to do well towards the end of April.

RR