Rod builder advise

Gill-T

Try to match the other guides, but use something with a silica nitride or silica carbine (SiN or SiC) insert from Fuji or a Tungsten Carbide from American Tackle.  There's a variety of options for heavy duty boat rods, but I'm assuming you will be looking for a spinning rod type frame. Mudhole Tackle is a good place to start.

John Powell is on the board and can likely repair it. I think he's over by you.

Edited by Gator

Jann’s Netcraft is also a good source of single replacement guides.  I’ve matched up replacements from them.  Double footed replacements can be a bit more limited in choice.  The old Ugly Sticks are worth keeping going.  

After taking a close look at all my guides on my wire rods in good light and magnifying glasses, I was shocked at the deep grooves present. I have not lost any gear due to wire failure but it looked like it could easily could happen at any time. For most of the grooves in the guides I was able use a dremmel tool and a pointed stone attachment to smooth out most of the grooves but some of the inserts did not survive the deep cuts present and the vibration from the grinding. Looks like I am getting into rod repair. 

4 hours ago, Gill-T said:

After taking a close look at all my guides on my wire rods in good light and magnifying glasses, I was shocked at the deep grooves present. I have not lost any gear due to wire failure but it looked like it could easily could happen at any time. For most of the grooves in the guides I was able use a dremmel tool and a pointed stone attachment to smooth out most of the grooves but some of the inserts did not survive the deep cuts present and the vibration from the grinding. Looks like I am getting into rod repair. 

Been there done that. I solved the problem by checking flea markets and ebay. There are always some old rods with good guides. You can also replace the whole setup with carboloid (carbide) guides as Gator suggests, those are way better than what you have got on that ugly stick.

Edited by rolmops

4 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I don't know what they are called but on my wire rods I have removed the first guide and replaced with the one that has the large spring and a plastic rod interface....see my photo.  I have never had one have grooves form in them. I wish I could find a link.  Local shops seem to have them.  Its an easy install.  careful use of a lighter and a needle nose pliers removes the old guide less is more on the heat.....too much heat and the rod blank goes wrong.   Not the end....a careful use of a hack saw with fine blade or better a razor knife lets you break a new clean end..  Anything from the rod tip specific stick you can heat and use for "glue"....kind of like hot glue gun stuff works to also plane jane 2 part epoxy.  replacing guides isn't super hard but you need some kind of slow turning motor for even epoxy. Like has been implied, I use low cost rods for that service. yeah I had a rods guides get eaten away too.  Roller rods obviously can work fine but expensive.  I have built a lot of rods.  PM me if you want any help on wrapping guides.  It seems hard but its really not that hard.  

image.thumb.png.0331187fb6ab05c1e8a0b19e03ae8737.png

Edited by Fat Trout

• 2 weeks later...

If by 1st guide you mean the tip replace it with a roller guide if all you use it for is wire. If you mean the first guide from the reel you can use silicon carbide or even just solid stainless steel guides since you're not looking for casting distance just durability.