Penn Yan Contender 245 fish wells

GAMBLER

I am purchasing a Penn Yan 245 and have a question about the fish wells in the floor.  How well do they hold ice?  Do they have enough room for a 3 or 4 man limit of kings?  If you use a cooler, where do you put yours?  

Congrats on your new ride

On my 255 the fish boxes drain into the bilge so I always figured if I was going to use them I would need to hook up a macerator pump to them or there would be a definite odor after a while.  They are also not insulated so I don't think they would hold ice very well.  I use them for storing life jackets and extra fenders.

I have dinette seating so I use a cooler on the port side in back of the seats.  Serves as additional bench seating and I still have enough room to work around between it and the dog house.  Might be a little tighter on a 245?  If you have a swim platform I've seen a lot of coolers strapped back there.

2 hours ago, Diversion said:

In mine I have the single post captain chair so I always kept the cooler on deck right behind the captain chair, doubled as a seat. Never seemed to be in the way right there, the cockpit is big enough. 

20 hours ago, mudflat said:

Congrats on your new ride

On my 255 the fish boxes drain into the bilge so I always figured if I was going to use them I would need to hook up a macerator pump to them or there would be a definite odor after a while.  They are also not insulated so I don't think they would hold ice very well.  I use them for storing life jackets and extra fenders.

I have dinette seating so I use a cooler on the port side in back of the seats.  Serves as additional bench seating and I still have enough room to work around between it and the dog house.  Might be a little tighter on a 245?  If you have a swim platform I've seen a lot of coolers strapped back there.

Thanks for the input guys!

• Like 1